.:: Correct Way Of Specifying Keywords In Meta Tags? ::.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuXian

In the zone
Which is the correct/effective way of specifying keywords in Meta Tags

Code:
<META NAME = "keywords" CONTENT = "keyword1,keyword2,keyword3,keyword4,keyword5,keyword6,keyword7,keyword8,keyword9,keyword10,keyword11">

OR

Code:
<META NAME = "keywords" CONTENT = "keyword1 keyword2 keyword3 keyword4 keyword5 keyword6 keyword7 keyword8 keyword9 keyword10 keyword11">

As evident from the code the first is with commas and the second without.

Plz let me know

Thanks

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
I dont even know why you bother with META tags. No search engine even uses them anymore, and half the sites in operation today have long since taken them down. Some people still use the 'description' META to describe their site, and put in a few keywords, but thats totally useless when it comes to spiderbots.

Anyway, if you still want to use them, I can understand that it would pretty confusing to most people whether they should separate the keywords with a comma or not. But Inktomi says that you should include up to 25 words or phrases, with each word or phrase separated by commas. Since Yahoo! took over Inktomi, the only search engine that allowed META tags and supported them is also out, totally killing the META tag. So just save yourself the trouble and dont go around including META tags in your HTML code. They absolutely DO NOT boost your page rank in search engine results.

Deep

Version 2.0
enoonmai said:
I dont even know why you bother with META tags. No search engine even uses them anymore, and half the sites in operation today have long since taken them down. Some people still use the 'description' META to describe their site, and put in a few keywords, but thats totally useless when it comes to spiderbots.

Anyway, if you still want to use them, I can understand that it would pretty confusing to most people whether they should separate the keywords with a comma or not. But Inktomi says that you should include up to 25 words or phrases, with each word or phrase separated by commas. Since Yahoo! took over Inktomi, the only search engine that allowed META tags and supported them is also out, totally killing the META tag. So just save yourself the trouble and dont go around including META tags in your HTML code. They absolutely DO NOT boost your page rank in search engine results.

Yahoo still reads meta keywords
google still reads meta description

both are equally important :)

Meta tags DO HELP TO BOOST your ranking..

Deep

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Deep said:
Yahoo still reads meta keywords
google still reads meta description

both are equally important Smile

Meta tags DO HELP TO BOOST your ranking..

Actually, they do not. Page ranking has long since evolved from simply reading meta tags. Yes, Yahoo and Google crawl-bots DO "read" meta tags, but practically ignore them. Google's Page Ranking works on a TOTALLY different mechanism, and they do not rely on meta tags to boost ranking. For a complete description of how Page Ranking works, read O'Reilly's "Google Hacks" It contains an in-depth analysis of the system and also has great tips on how to increase your page rank (legally, of course, not via Googlebombing :D) However, if you dont have a copy of the book, read this article:

How Page Rank Works

and look for anything thats related to meta tags. Chances are you wont find a single instance where meta tags increased a site's page rank. For more information by industry experts on the demise of meta tags and their uselessness in today's world, take a look at all these information from leading experts in the field:

An end to meta tags (Enough already!)
The death of the meta tags
Death of a meta tag
Google uses meta tags sparingly, but should you?

I repeat and stand by what I say. Using meta tags in upcoming websites with the intention of boosting page ranks is a total waste of time. So while search engines read the meta descriptions and keywords, they hardly do anything more than describe the content of your site to the index, thats about it!

Deep

Version 2.0
I am not talking about PR (PageRank) here but I am talking about the rank in the results...

you can check following example...

Search google for keyword...

Send Gifts to india

see the results...
each and every result will show text from meta description tag in the results... (if not present then it will take text from body)

google started using description tag effectively from the latest algorithm update called allegra

about meta keywords...

check this page

*help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/ranking/ranking-02.html

and as far as google PageRank concern, it is very broad term, deals with link building and all...so meta tags wont help there..

cheers
Deep

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
LOL, it looks we're talking about the same thing. If you want to give your site a description that would be displayed to people who enter a search query matching your site content, then by all means, go ahead and include a META 'description' and 'keywords'. However, even if you don't, the bots will still index the content from your site and generate the appropriate results. So even if you dont include a META tag, your SERP will still be very close to what it would be if you included it. It will not "boost" ranking, but your site content would be "clearer."

And I know about Update Allegra and how it uses META tags extensively, but I think you also know how many problems it has caused so far and how people are screaming foul that their SERPs are totally fouled up. Legit sites are literally dropped from the SERP while the others increase. :D Heck, millions of pages have just "disappeared" off the face of the Earth thanks to Update Allegra. The last I checked, Google is working on fixing on this usage of META tags for illegal SEO. So its hardly "effective" as of now. Correct me if I am wrong. :D

Metatags will not BOOST your site's result position in any way. :D (I didnt say rank in the results, OK, Deep?) :D

Deep

Version 2.0
oh yes..i remember google playing with my site like as if a kid playing with yo yo...

sites started jumping from dec...

but things seems to be stable...
few sites resting on #1 for few keywords

for send gifts to india resting on 7th...(will get it on top soon:) )

compared to google, optimizing for msn is too easy...currently all my optimized sites on #1 for most of the keywords hehe...

cheers
Deep

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
LOL, hope you dont start using 302 Googlejacking. :lol: But the error thats plaguing people is still not fixed yet. This "problem" or "bug" or "feature" or whatever you want to call it, has been around since August 2003, and its still being a pain, even with the latest Update Allegra.

This thread is still running. :D You can still apparently use a http-equiv="refresh" redirect and exploit the bug in Google's algorithm. People are now resorting to use this in literally ALL their outgoing links and bring the target domain's SERPs totally down, while rising themselves. A really lousy move on Google's part, lets hope the next algo update fixes it.

BTW, I hope you dont use any of these SEOs to push your PR up. Or do you? :D

Deep

Version 2.0
enoonmai said:
LOL, hope you dont start using 302 Googlejacking. :lol: But the error thats plaguing people is still not fixed yet. This "problem" or "bug" or "feature" or whatever you want to call it, has been around since August 2003, and its still being a pain, even with the latest Update Allegra.

This thread is still running. :D You can still apparently use a http-equiv="refresh" redirect and exploit the bug in Google's algorithm. People are now resorting to use this in literally ALL their outgoing links and bring the target domain's SERPs totally down, while rising themselves. A really lousy move on Google's part, lets hope the next algo update fixes it.

BTW, I hope you dont use any of these SEOs to push your PR up. Or do you? :D

Deep = SEO :D

thanks for the link to that thread..

Deep

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Deep said:
Deep = SEO :D

OMG! :D He's gonna use start using illegal SEOs to push his PR up. Oh well, what the heck's the harm, as long as others do it to us, we might as well do it right back to them. :D

Deep

Version 2.0
to be frank i am not into illegal stuff...

just try to get links and good content...google automatically follows without doing anything illlegal :D

Deep

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
LOL, man, just kidding. :D There are better ways of legally boosting PR rather than using these hacks. BTW, do you hand-create your sitemaps or do you have your publishing software create it for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom