Core Solo Vs. Core Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadhanihemant

Journeyman
whats the basic diff. btw core solo and core duo processor.
Which one is better..
and what is the diff. btw core duo & core duo2...

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Core Duo is better than Core Solo. Core Duo allows you to perform simultaneous 'load' (CPU is consumed) operations without slowing down the system. Core Solo tends to slow down under this situation.

Sourabh

Laptoping
It is in the name, core duo = two processing cores in the same die, so it acts like 2 processors. It should not be confused with hyper threading.

Core solo is single core variant of the same.

Core solo is well nothing great. Except for their ULV or LV processors, I wouldn't even bother about them. It wouldn't be wrong in saying they made it to rip off extra premiums. Celeron and older Pentium M were good enough for value and budget notebooks.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Id like to add here that core solo is just a core duo processor with one of the cores disabled. It helps intel because if a core duo processor fails quality checks because of defects in one of the core, they just disable the defective core and sell it as core solo.

tuxfan

Technomancer
kalpik said:
Id like to add here that core solo is just a core duo processor with one of the cores disabled. It helps intel because if a core duo processor fails quality checks because of defects in one of the core, they just disable the defective core and sell it as core solo.
You mean to say that if one of the cores in my Core DUO goes bad, will my machine still function on the other one??

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
is it possible for a processor with core2duo written on the die be a core solo?
cuz my proccy has core2duo written on it but only performs as a one core processor...
@sourabh: yes i posted before and the problem was resolved, i just wanted to see other peoples ideas on why it might have occurred

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
^^jz2: It is not possible. If I am not mistaken you have posted about it more than once on the forum before. There might be some software/driver issues. I hope you are not using XP Home with no service packs.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
tuxfan said:
You mean to say that if one of the cores in my Core DUO goes bad, will my machine still function on the other one??
I dunno about that :p
The disabling of the core is done by intel. Im sure you cannot do it at home :D

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
tuxfan said:

No dude. It's not possible. Intel does it by electronic way. It is easy for them to disable one Core, no need of a new production line of CPUs that physically only have one core. Intel was using this strategy earlier too in their 486 CPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom