Core 2 Duo vs Pentium 4 [question]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacGyver

Right off the assembly line
I am a total noob when it comes to hardware, and I just want to get this cleared up. The difference between Core2Duo and P4...

Which is faster, a P4 3.0ghz -or- a 1.66ghz Core2Duo processor?

Which one should I choose for a gaming? I want to play elder scrolls 4 oblivion...the minimum system requirements in terms of processors are 2.0ghzs P4 for that. Would a 1.66 C2D be good enough?

Thanks!

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
You can get 2.0ghz core 2 duo for less than 5.5k. Core 2 duo is faster because of its architechture and the fact that its a dual core processor. Pentium 4 is a single core processor and is slow, which is the reason why its so cheap. Actually it could be cheaper, but its out of mainstream production and hence the supply is down.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Let them fight!

[Processor comparison] between E4300 C2D and Pentium 4 530. The difference is more than half! (See the RED highlighted bars, and also see the performances for other modules available there)

And when it comes to applications, processor clock speeds don't matter. So even if you have a 1.5 GHz P4 and the game demands 2.0 GHz on the box, it'll run fine provided you got adequate GPU and RAM.

As some people say, basically 1.66 GHz C2D = 1.66 x 2 Cores = 3.32 GHz total > 3.0 GHz P4. Not logical enough but this sells C2Ds for Intel.

OP
M

MacGyver

Right off the assembly line
QwertyManiac said:
Let them fight!

[Processor comparison] between E4300 C2D and Pentium 4 530. The difference is more than half! (See the RED highlighted bars, and also see the performances for other modules available there)

And when it comes to applications, processor clock speeds don't matter. So even if you have a 1.5 GHz P4 and the game demands 2.0 GHz on the box, it'll run fine provided you got adequate GPU and RAM.

As some people say, basically 1.66 GHz C2D = 1.66 x 2 Cores = 3.32 GHz total > 3.0 GHz P4. Not logical enough but this sells C2Ds for Intel.

Thank you :)

shashank4u

Youngling
I ve both P4 2.8 GHz HT and C2D e6320

P4 produces a lot of heat and its fan is noisy..its runs normally at 60-70 degree Celsius whereas C2D is super cool in terms of performance and it runs at 40-50 degree Celsius ,subject to multitask work load and its best for gaming purposes go for it .

shashank4u

Youngling
P4 2.8 GHz HT sounds like crazy ,one of my friends have P4 3.0 GHz his pc also sounds like hell and disturbing whereas C2D works like a charm.

There is also a workaround for reducing noise in P4 systems.
Actually the noise will not be noticeable till it gets old a little bit and is subjected to heavy games mine started crying after 1.5 years its obvious when you ve a proccy running at 60-70 degree Celsius the thermal paste isn't have much effect and starts to erode away.

So after one year of usage i would recommend P4 users to reapply thermal paste to make its breathing and cooling easier.

C2D is worth the money spend and i am completely satisfied with its performance.

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
man....... take it this way

u've got a bike(two wheeler) ... lets take VR 300 cc....... thats quite speedy n crosses 150...
now take a maruti 800...... it chokes out at 120 kmph....but power?.... maruti has more power ....

u wont even get that power by joining two bikes........ the same is the case with p4 n c2d....... lol

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@shashank thanks for informing. I too have a P4 520 and from past 1.5 year My neighbours can tell if I am using my system. I think its time for a thermal paste/cooler combo :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom