Cool 'n quiet query

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Hi,

I am facing a weird problem (actually I do not know whether this is classified as a problem). Please see the signature for my complete machine specifications. The fan of my 3000+ CPU is making considerable amount of noise after about an hour of usage. I have overclocked my CPU from 1.8Ghz to 2.25Ghz. I have been using this o/c'ed system for the past 2-3 months without any problem. I have double checked my system and confirmed that the noise is indeed coming from the CPU fan and not from my graphics card.

Is there any way that I can reduce the fan noise? Enabling cool and queit may be an option but I am not so sure. I had to disable it in order to run my overclocking experiment successfully. Enabling it and restarting always resets to the default system specs. It may also be that the fan has become defective and may need to be replaced but that too I am not too sure. Moreover since I o/ced my system and also updated the Asus BIOS to latest (ver 1011), I may have lost warranty coverage.

Please help!

janitha

Wise Old Owl
digitized said:
Hi,

I am facing a weird problem (actually I do not know whether this is classified as a problem). Please see the signature for my complete machine specifications. The fan of my 3000+ CPU is making considerable amount of noise after about an hour of usage. I have overclocked my CPU from 1.8Ghz to 2.25Ghz. I have been using this o/c'ed system for the past 2-3 months without any problem. I have double checked my system and confirmed that the noise is indeed coming from the CPU fan and not from my graphics card.

Is there any way that I can reduce the fan noise? Enabling cool and queit may be an option but I am not so sure. I had to disable it in order to run my overclocking experiment successfully. Enabling it and restarting always resets to the default system specs. It may also be that the fan has become defective and may need to be replaced but that too I am not too sure. Moreover since I o/ced my system and also updated the Asus BIOS to latest (ver 1011), I may have lost warranty coverage.

Please help!

First of all why should you lose the warranty because of Bios update. Asus update is provided with your Mobo SW and it is obtained from their website.

I have a more or less similar configuration but not overclocked, but I have updated Bios 3 times to the present V.1013.

Reg. the CPU fan noise, if Cool&Quiet is disabled, it is somewhat noisy. The RPM is bound to be >5000. To it add the noise from the chipset fan of A8N-E which in my case runs at >5000 even when Cool&Quiet is enabled whereas CPU fan speed ranges between 1000 to 3000.

May be because you have overclocked and the fan has been running continuously for long at high speeds, the sleave/bearing has become damaged. But make sure about it before replacing. And I doubt whether you will get a genuine fan.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
juat enable cool n quite and set the max voltage to 54degrees.
now during normal operation the fan will be quite and when gaming or full load it will go up to full speed before the cpu get overheated.

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
janitha said:
First of all why should you lose the warranty because of Bios update. Asus update is provided with your Mobo SW and it is obtained from their website.

i think that maybe he thinks that he has lost warranty due to his overclocking

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
If u can then, try running the PC at stock speed....
What is the temp?
If the temp is normal and still the fan is making too much noise then it is possible that the fan's bearing has got spoilt..

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Not to worry, it seems I have found the root of the problem. Actually the cabinet was not well ventilated. When I ran the computer with the case covers removed the idle temp was 38-39 deg and after playing COD-2 for an hour, it was 49 deg. Previously the same temp was 42 deg and 59 deg respectively. I will double check with prime 95 tonight for the whole night to be sure.

Thanks anyway. But I have discovered another problem. Actually both asus PC probe and everest detects only the chipset fan which is rotating between 5800 and 6000 RPM. The CPU fan and chasis 1 fan speed is shown as 0. This is indeed peculiar. Although I can physically see the CPU fan rotating, I do not know why this is shown as 0. Both of them only detects one fan. I am at wit's end after seeing this. I am using A8N-E BIOS ver 1011. Please refer the screenshots.

*img98.imageshack.us/img98/2764/pcprobescreenshot2sc.th.jpg

*img98.imageshack.us/img98/2236/everestscreenshot4fq.th.jpg

Please suggest.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Asus Probe indeed shows the CPU and chipset fan speeds. But in the earlier version, the chipset fan is shown as chasis fan. In the latest version, CPU, chipset and chasis fan are shown correctly. (For the chasis fan you have to connect it to the Cha-1 connector of the Mobo for the sensor to work and display speed.)

I have not tried Everest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom