Cool 'n' Quiet driver install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I have FC5(64-bit) installed on my system on my system(please system specs on my signature). I want to install the Cool 'n' Quiet driver for my OS as it tends to heat up if I leave it running for a long time. This doesn't happen on Windows. I don't know if this because of the driver which I have installed or plainly Windows taking care of itself. I downloaded certain file(s) from the AMD site, but I cannot figure out what to do as I am a total noob to Linux. I have posted the readme of the downloaded file(s). Please let me know what to do.

This tar file contains the Linux CPU frequency driver
for AMD Athlon64 / Opteron processors.

The driver obtains data as to supported frequencies
and voltages for the processor from the BIOS.

Version 1.00.xx of the driver uses a BIOS table called
the PSB, which is not supported by all BIOSs. Included
driver versions are:
1.00.09 - versions of the driver for both 2.4 and 2.6
kernels. The driver is dependent on the
cpufreq driver, which is available as a patch
for 2.4 kernels, and is built into 2.6 kernels.
1.00.12 - the latest version of the driver, for 2.6
only, that includes sample code to hardcode a
PSB table to bypass BIOSs that do not offer
the support.

Version 1.39.xx of the driver can use either the
PSB table or ACPI objects, dependent on whether
the kernel is configured to include ACPI support or
not. The driver version included is 1.39.04, for
the 2.6 kernel only. This driver supports SMP
frequency management and dual-core processors. It
will not load on an SMP or dual-core system unless
the ACPI objects are available. It will work on
all 2.6 kernels, but the 1.50.03 driver (below)
is preferred for kernels 2.6.10 and later.

Version 1.50.xx of the driver can use either the
PSB table of the ACPI objects. It supports Opteron,
Athlon 64 processors, in both single and dual core
versions, for all of the 754, 939, 940, and 1207
pin packages. This driver supports SMP frequency
management but will not work on SMP or dual core
systems unless the ACPI powerstate objects are
available. It will only work on 2.6.10 and later
kernels. This driver is distributed with the
2.6.13 and later kernels.

The powernow-k8.c and powernow-k8.h files should be
placed in the arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq directory.
The kernel will then need to be rebuilt and the system
rebooted. Builds of the 64-bit arch/x86_64 kernel use
the same source files.

For further documentation, see the
linux/Documentation/cpu-freq directory.

Support: mark.langsdorf@amd.com
License: GPL

There are 4 folders, namely 1.00.08, 1.00.12, 1.39.04 and 1.50.03 and each of these folders contain C files and its corresponding header files. Do I have to compile and install these files? If so, how? Please do let me know.

Thanks in advance.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
AFAIK, u don't need to install drivers for C&Q but don't for 64bit, let others reply for confirmation

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I haven't ever user cool and quiet so don't really know what it is. just attach those drivers in your next post. I will look into it as soon as I get time and reply back.

eddie

El mooooo
FC5 should already be having cpufreq driver compiled as module so you don't need to install it separately from the package you downloaded. Just install cpufreqd from yum or any package manager that you might be using. Then depending on the desktop environment you are using, install relevant package (kcpufreq for KDE) and control the frequency at which you want to run your processor. The more the performance...more heat...less performance...less heat...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yup.. Its built into the kernel.

Do a cat /proc/cpuinfo on the terminal. And you should see reduced CPU speed on no load conditions.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

eddie said:
FC5 should already be having cpufreq driver compiled as module so you don't need to install it separately from the package you downloaded. Just install cpufreqd from yum or any package manager that you might be using. Then depending on the desktop environment you are using, install relevant package (kcpufreq for KDE) and control the frequency at which you want to run your processor. The more the performance...more heat...less performance...less heat...

Hey thanks a lot for the reply guys!! Never really expected to get such a quick response. Actually has given the same stuff, a cpufrequency driver. I think its doing a better job than the default driver of the OS 'coz I wasn't using anything else apart from my browser when I heard my fan whine. So, I decided to install that.

@tech_your_future
Sorry, I can't upload it as the file extension is not valid, 'coz its *.c and *.h extensions.

Waiting for more advice on this, if any. Thanks again!!

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
phreak0utt said:
@tech_your_future
Sorry, I can't upload it as the file extension is not valid, 'coz its *.c and *.h extensions.

Waiting for more advice on this, if any. Thanks again!!

They're Kernel Modules Sources.. Prepare to Compile your Own Kernel.. :rolleyes:

(Well, Compiling them ain't tough.. But you will need a Lot of Know-How.. and As Posted above, Cool & Quiet Drivers are Inbuilt in the Linux Kernel)

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
phreak0utt said:
@tech_your_future

whats wrong?, make it a rar or zip or whatever archive and upload it.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

subbzzz said:
They're Kernel Modules Sources.. Prepare to Compile your Own Kernel.. :rolleyes:

(Well, Compiling them ain't tough.. But you will need a Lot of Know-How.. and As Posted above, Cool & Quiet Drivers are Inbuilt in the Linux Kernel)

Hmmmmmmm.......telling a noob to recompile the kernel :D Wow!! Well, I removed FC5 as of now and tried to install SuSE 10.1. I downloaded all of them from the official site, burned them onto CDs at 8x with CD verification done. When I tried to install it, it was all working fine, until it asked me for the 4th CD. I put in the 4th CD and give OK, the same dialog box appears asking for the CD again. I had checked all my media for errors and SuSE cleared it with flying colors. :) I tried numerous times, but to no avail. I tried Skip, it didn't accept either. So, I decided to go for Abort to cancel the install. It restarted with the GRUB and I tried to log into SuSE as it came up with the screen with the username and password. Since the install was cancelled in the middle, the username and password is not being accepted(as there are none). Trying to reset the root password by pressing 'e' at the boot option has not helped at all I don't get any options to get in and change the settings. Help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

eddie

El mooooo
phreak0utt said:
Trying to reset the root password by pressing 'e' at the boot option has not helped at all I don't get any options to get in and change the settings. Help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Boot your system using a live cd. Then mount your suse partition some where...say /mnt/suse. Then chroot into the new system and change the password using passwd command. Here is an example assuming that the partition on which you installed SuSE is hda6
Code:
mkdir /mnt/suse
mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/suse
chroot /mnt/suse /bin/bash
passwd

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Thanks!! The install is fine, but with few issues, but starting a new thread so that everyone can make use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom