Converting a VCD to MPEG Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Quite a few new releases are VCDs nowadays, and not everybody likes them. Some people prefer the good old MPEG format, which is more flexible, and you can easily put them on DVDs.

You will need this tool:
VCD Gear ---Download it from here

OK, Step one. You either have the VCD already on a disc, or still in bin/cue format or whatever format the cd is in. For this tutorial, i'm going to use bin/cue.

CONVERTING FROM THE CD
Open up the CD in My Computer. It should look like this:
*i14.tinypic.com/33to3lf.jpg

Go into the MPEGAV folder. You should have a .dat file named AVSEQ01.DAT or something similar. You may have several. Copy it, or all of them, to a seperate folder on your HDD. This may take a while.

When it's done, open up VCD Gear. In the drop down box, select dat -> mpeg. In the bottom left, load up your dat file you copied, and then select a place to save the mpeg. (In my example, I have the dat file on the cd still. long story, but copy it first or it won't work properly). Also check the "fix mpeg errors" box, you know, just in case. It should look like this:

*i14.tinypic.com/2i20rvc.jpg

Click start, wait, and it should be done!

CONVERTING FROM THE IMAGE FILE
This requires less effort. Load up VCD Tools. In the drop-down box, select cue/bin -> mpeg. Click load again in the bottom left, then find your cue file. It MAY ask you to find your bin file as well. Do it. Then select your place you want the mpeg to be saved too. Check "fix mpeg errors"
It should look like this:

*i13.tinypic.com/40m02ab.jpg

Click start, wait, and once again, you should have your movie.
Good luck, and have fun watching whatever.

Note:Self Made Tut so Leave the Credits in My name in case u copy-paste this else where

pritzdj

LIFE Overclocked!!
for converting vcd file (.dat) to mpeg i'll give u the simple and easiest idea..........
just change the extension .dat to rename it to .mpeg
for example:
if u have abc.dat then rename the the last extension to abc.mpeg or abc.mpg....
and njoy the mpeg video files...........

tuxfan

Technomancer
Ah! Thanks for the tutorial :) I was looking for something like this ;)

I have a VCD of a 5 min film which I want to put on a client's website. For that I need to convert it to FLA. I found a free tool to convert from MPEG to FLA and now this tutorial will let me convert from VCD to MPEG :) Thanks you saved my 50 US$ :))

I would have given a +ve rep for this :( but the user is banned.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
I was using VCDGear for so long..but it seems the developer is not updating it nowdays...he should have added some more features...and maybe a DVDGear too!!

And pritzdi....renaming extensions would create serious problems...firstly .dat are not .mpeg by format..they are .avi with extra header info embedded into it....renaming files may work because most media players go by content than by filename...and mpeg files are smaller in size than avi. Never rename extensions in video files to work! Bad Tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom