Convert Your Old Optical Mouse CCD into a Scanner !

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Are you using an optical mouse right now? Ever wanted to see your desktop through the eye on the bottom of it? Me neither, I already know I have to clean my desktop

People get bored sometimes, and when I get bored I sometimes open up stuff to find out what makes it tick. One time, I did this with an old optical mouse. Well, a mouse only has 2 chips inside: the optical sensor and a chip for the usb/ps2-interfacing. I looked up the datasheet of the optical sensor (which is an ADNS2610) and it told me the sensor has a tiny 18x18 CCD, which can be read out using the serial port (the one which normally interfaces to the PS2/USB-chip).

So I start Visual Basic (I usually do my stuff under Linux, but I'm no star at using anything graphical like QT or GTK, so for this quick'n'dirty project I fell back in my old habits) and hack something up using a few wires to the trusty ole parallel port. The result: crisp lo-res b&w imaging

*sprite.student.utwente.nl/~jeroen/projects/mouseeye/e.png

As you can see, the mouse was over some text with an 'e' in it.

One of the more obvious features of a mouse, however, is that it can detect movement. Combine this with the just-aquired imaging features, and we have a ghetto b&w handscanner. This is a 'scanned' piece of a receipt:

*sprite.student.utwente.nl/~jeroen/projects/mouseeye/boodschappen.jpg

I can understand you can't wait to have such a handy scanner yourself. And now, you can! The software is downloadable here.

h**p://sprite.student.utwente.nl/~jeroen/projects/mouseeye/readmouse.zip

The software works on mice which use an ADNS-2610 optical sensor, recognisable by the eight pins, the sun-like mark and the text 'A2610'. I've seen this sensor in most cheap optical mice that aren't too old. To hook it up, check out the pinout in the datasheet, then on the PCB cut the traces running from the sensors SCK- and SDIO-pins to the rest of the mouse. Then connect the sensor, using a diode, to a parallel port, like this:

pp: adns-2610:
25-----------------GND

12----------+------SDIO
5 -----|<|--+

9 -----------------SCK

Plug in the USB/PS2-plug (or apply 5V to the Vcc-pin of the sensor), run the software and you should be OK[/b]

Edit: FatBeing
Source: *sprite.student.utwente.nl/~jeroen/projects/mouseeye/

{Please post a source next time or you'll be liable for an immediate ban}

Last edited by a moderator:

aku

Gonna make it BiG
man!... i started 2 envey him as i thot dat it ws his creation... but nw whn i kno dat its a total rip off... im laughin on2 maself! loll
create; dont steal

S

SE><IE

well its just a 700KB file. just download any try for yourself. Anyways it didn't work with my mouse- a logitech standard optical PS/2 mouse

anonymusneo

Journeyman
yes it doesnt work with my logitech ps/2 mouse.
intead
my mcafee found a password cracking malware associated with it so

BE CAREFULL GUYs

TechnoMancer

Right off the assembly line
PLEASE READ THIS:
you have to hack the mouse to connect the SCK and SDIO pins from the sensor to your parallel port!!!!!!!!
THE SOFTWARE DOES NOT WORK WITH AN UNALTERED MOUSE!!!!!!!:!: :!: :!:
AND YES THIS TUTORIAL IS FROM : *spritesmods.com/?art=mouseeye
thank you
TechnoMancer

srikugun

Right off the assembly line
How can I find the no. of my Optical Sensor ...so that I can look up for the datasheet in the net ???:confused::!:

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
a component's number is generally engraved on the component itself. try using a magnifying lens and view it under bright light.

tho it is possible that on the Optical sensor the number is not on the top side as there are the optics there. Tyr looking around the chip on the PC usually u will find component names written in white itch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom