Constant HDD activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I've got this unusual problem from past 2 weeks. I see that my HDD light keeps flickering even when there are no processes running. I thought that my antivirus indexing my files, but I disabled it, still happened. Safe mode, happening again. I thought this was the problem of Windows, but this is happening on Linux as well (SuSE 10.2). I did defrag my HD and my AV is always updated it automatically scans when my system is idle. I leave my system switched on most of the time, so it takes care of that. What could be the problem? I want to cut this problem and extend the life of my HD. My config is there as my signature. Please do check it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

wizrulz said:
Defrag ur HDD....run antivirus..and scandisk ur HDD.......

also try this site
try this

I edited my post. I ran an AV check and defrag it as well. Well, I ran chkdsk yesterday. It came up with few errors. It told that it couldn't continue with errors. So, I scheduled it to run on the next boot up. No problems were faced there. It just did a scan and nothing turned up. Thanks for the link. Will try to tweak those.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

s18000rpm said:
did you check for any unusual start-up entry or Process in TaskManager.

& if dont find anything unusual, then post a HijackThis log here.
Thanks for the link. I'll post the log file here. There's no wild seeking, but its still something for me. I also read in this post that its normal for SATA HDD to seek like that. Please give me more insight on this. I'll google out as well.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
for the "STIR" (Seek to increase Reliability), check your HDD's Instruction/Owners Manual.
If its stated there, then that might be the Answer.

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
^^
OK but what about lagging? HDD which makes noise also show a lag in activity (in most of the cases.), so what about lag?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
What kind of Noise. like the usual clickling sound or other type.

i dunno much about this particular(lag+sound) case, but the lagging maybe due to insufficient Power Supply. (PSU, UPS...causing the problem)

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

@n2casey There's no lagging in accessing, just a dim flicker of the light compared to the one where it glows brightly during normal disc activity.

@s18000rpmThere's no noise, but just the dim flickering of the light. Actually I was scared when chkdsk detected errors. I thought my drive was failing, but the disc check during the startup didn't show any bad sectors. Same goes with other partitions. I'll soon be posting the HijackThis log file.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
I analysed the report and found no virus or malware.
The problem is that you have too many start-up entries and hence too many processes. No wonder any PC would be sluggish under such circumstances. Remove unwanted start-up entries. Keep it limited to Antivirus start-ups and some needed applications.

OR...Just run a free performance scan and remove the unwanted processes.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Kiran_tech_mania said:
I analysed the report and found no virus or malware.
The problem is that you have too many start-up entries and hence too many processes. No wonder any PC would be sluggish under such circumstances. Remove unwanted start-up entries. Keep it limited to Antivirus start-ups and some needed applications.

OR...Just run a free performance scan and remove the unwanted processes.

Yeah, I know there are a lot of startup entries, I need to clear them. But I need a few to run during startup. Well, how is it related to the constant HDD activity? I shutdown most applications in the tray once its started. I think I'll put a snap of my HD light 'glowing' to show what kind of light it actually is showing up.

anandk

Distinguished Member
just for the record, s18000rpm, carpserv.exe is a legit file. no issues. *www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/carpserv.exe-725.html

sunil : antiwpa.dll keeps ur windows working in an unactivated state making the os believe it is activated. it makes winlogon.exe believe that it was booted in safemode and so winlogon skips the WPA-Check. ;-)

i suggest u get it scanned with multiple av's at
*virusscan.jotti.org/ and/or
*www.virustotal.com/en/virustotalf.html

by and large ur hjt logfile appears to be clean. just fix this entry using hijackthis tool :
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = *10.240.48.195/webLogin.jsp

a constant/on/off hdd activity in the background shud not ordnrly b a cause for concern, unless ofcourse there r specefic issues invloved.
there are a lot of background processes going on like, indexing, etc...

i assume u have nevertheless scanned in safe mode with ur av and as.
i do suggest u reduce ur startups. for example i have none !
i always prefer to click and start apps/progs as n ven i require them.
*i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/happyandy/stylucm5.gif

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

anandk said:
just for the record, s18000rpm, carpserv.exe is a legit file. no issues. *www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/carpserv.exe-725.html

sunil : antiwpa.dll keeps ur windows working in an unactivated state making the os believe it is activated. it makes winlogon.exe believe that it was booted in safemode and so winlogon skips the WPA-Check. ;-)

i suggest u get it scanned with multiple av's at
*virusscan.jotti.org/ and/or
*www.virustotal.com/en/virustotalf.html

by and large ur hjt logfile appears to be clean. just fix this entry using hijackthis tool :
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = *10.240.48.195/webLogin.jsp

a constant/on/off hdd activity in the background shud not ordnrly b a cause for concern, unless ofcourse there r specefic issues invloved.
there are a lot of background processes going on like, indexing, etc...

i assume u have nevertheless scanned in safe mode with ur av and as.
i do suggest u reduce ur startups. for example i have none !
i always prefer to click and start apps/progs as n ven i require them.
*i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/happyandy/stylucm5.gif

Your eyes are sharper than anyone can imagine :D I know the process which I'm purposely running ;) Since there's know furious activity of the hard disk, I don't know if I really should be concerned as this was not really happening before. I need to get my camera back to post a snap of the pic. I'll try multiple AV scans as well. Thanks again :) Will post the pic soon ;)

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Well, here is the picture of my computer. I switched off the lights and turned off the flash as well so that you guys can get a fair idea of how faint the light of the HD activity LED is. The right side, red one is the HD activity light. Please do let me know how to stop it.

*img66.imageshack.us/img66/4679/dscf04232ah.th.jpg

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
if no one can help u...last option is to format ur HDD and make all fresh installs...that is if no one comes up with solution

47shailesh

Security Exp
Dude i think ur AUTO-INDEXING feature of MS-SEARCH or any other search utility that you used is ON.. Check this out...

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

47shailesh said:
Dude i think ur AUTO-INDEXING feature of MS-SEARCH or any other search utility that you used is ON.. Check this out...

I dont remember turning on any of these. In case it is automatically enabled, pleae tell me how to turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom