Connecting two Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
I have a friend living about 4kms from my place. We want to connect our computers. It should not be through Internet or Telephone lines. Any Ideas??? Please tell me how..

P.S. It must be cheap and fast :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
sure lot of ideas what is the ammount you have in mind. Based on the amount you can use FSO solutions to wireless point to point conection to satalilite based link.
name the price nothing in this wold is for free baby.

theraven

Technomancer
the only way feasible is thru the net and telephone lines
u cant wifi it ... cuz 4kms is too much
ofcourse u can get permission from the government ... dig the road for 4 kms and run an optical cable between the 2 places and u can set up a local lan !!
yipppiieee !!

OP
sujithtom

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
Nice joke. I will have to dig a river too :) Well I don't want to spend more than Rs 5000 on it. Well NO MONTHLY CHARGES!!

Sourabh

Laptoping
connecting 2 pcs!! ??

Forget the idea...
the sooner the better :lol:
coz theres no use regreting the fact tht nothing suites ur budget n even if it does its not worth it.
if u wann it for transferring files then use cd writers ;
if u wann it for playing games then tell him to bring his pc next to u every weekend;
if u want it for sahring ur internet connection then pay separetely for your ISP which is always less than ur budget

pr@k@sh

Journeyman
I Fully Agree with Sourabh

becoz

distance is 4 KMS ..!!

and ur prize limit is 5000/- so that is not possible..!!

theraven

Technomancer
hmm well u can run a cat5 cable from balcony to balcony :D
id suggest wireless lan ... but it wont give a good performance between houses

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
get broadband connection and go for vpn , i think thats the setup which might work .

if anyone here using vpn or wireless , please explain how u set it up , including limitations and speed of data transfer and distance in case of wireless

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
a cross over cable with two ethernet cards will give you a 100 MBPS connection total cost
2x NIC cards = 2x400=800/-
UTP CAT 5 @ Rs 11 per m = 550/-
RJ45 x 2 @ Rs 5/-
Crimping Rs 20/-
TOTAL 1380/-

OP
sujithtom

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
How can I setup a wireless connection. O.K I will make it clear :-( I have heard of all those Wi-Fi stuffs but don't know how it works. Is it like an internet connection??? mean is there something like theres ISP in Internet or is it available for everyone. Is it available in Kerala?????

OP
sujithtom

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
pradeep_chauhan said:
a cross over cable with two ethernet cards will give you a 100 MBPS connection total cost
2x NIC cards = 2x400=800/-
UTP CAT 5 @ Rs 11 per m = 550/-
RJ45 x 2 @ Rs 5/-
Crimping Rs 20/-
TOTAL 1380/-

Cool info. I will try to get hold of these stuff as soon as possible. But u know at our place, cost is more than that of yours. Well it may reach upto Rs.3000 :(

theraven

Technomancer
dude
there was a post by u only abt what is Wi-FI
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7934
what didnt u understand abt it ?
its a simple connection between 2 computers ... exactly like lan .. only its wireless !!!
everything else ive explained in detail there ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom