connecting two computers to share internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Guys i want to connect two computers placed in two separate rooms to access internet on both at the same time...
Both the systems are arnd 22 feet away frmo each other...
Both the systems hav inbuilt N/w cards..
which is the hardware i will need to connect both of them?
thanx..

adit_sen

In the zone
Get a broadband router. Plug your ADSL modem into the router, and each of your computers into the router. If you don't want to worry about cables, get a wireless broadband router.....if your comps have wireless receivers that is...

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
what willl b the cost of broadband router...
i hav heard that i can also use a switch..
wat is the difference btw two..

adit_sen

In the zone
A switch is a device which allows you to connect multiple computers within the same LAN. Its not quite the best way to go about sharing an internet connection tho. To share a connection using a switch, one must assign a single computer (that is connected to the internet) as a internet gateway device, and must have two LAN cards, one for the net connection and one for LAN sharing. But if your gateway computer is switched off, then your second computer would not be able to access the internet...
So what a router essentially does is act as the gateway and does not let your network depend on a single computer for an internet connection.

As for prices in India I really dunno...best to ask some other forum members who stay in India...

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
it will cost you nearly 1.5k to 2.5k for brands like Linksys etc.. also cost will depend on presence and absence of wifi..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom