Connecting 8 computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

techsammy

Right off the assembly line
Hi there, it seems i have approach the forum only when in problems. well i need the help of network gurus out here. i live in a hostel. there are 7 of my friends who have computers. whats the best way of joining these pc's to my pcs without setting a whole lan thing with server and stuff? of what help can a 8 port switch to me ?

G

gxsaurav

hmm, i don't know a lot about netwroking but U wiil need 8 Lan cards, a 8 port HUB, & a lot of Lan cable

another options is to go for wireless networking, since it's a hostal, U won't be able to drill in walls for passing the cables in other rooms, but this is very costly compared to the old conventional way

how much can u spend?

er

Broken In
I think gx has covered the options.

The best(cheap) solution is to have a hub and you guys connect them with CAT5 cables...
{you can get some 2nd hand hubs from netcafes or schools or colleges(we used to have lot of hubs in our college..one suggestion is maybe you can get one surplus hubs(maybe even a switch) from your college on loan basis for a "project" thats how we got a network running during my college days.).}

option 2 is if you all have 2 n/w cards then you cascade the connection.

switches is good solution as the bus bandwidth is not "shared" by all the connected commputers.But its a bit costly solution.

srijit

Broken In
8 port hub??? go for an 8 port switch--- cost abt 1500-2000 rs. if comps are laptops and they have wifi then go for wireless router ( SMC barracuda is only 1500+ at ebay.in )

er

Broken In
@srijit: yes there are some 8 port hubs but hardly you see them anywhere they have become vintage if you ask me.

@techsammy: but they are slow compared to switches as the hub's bus is shared with all the computeres connected.
For eg if the hubs bus is 10mbps then if you connect 10 computers the transfer speed only will be 1mbps.(hubs are rarely used now)
On the other hand switches work in a different way. you get all the 10Mbps. Switches are compartively costlier
But you can get a non branded(meaning not cisco, ayaya) one cheaper

Check e-bay for some products you will get a rough idea.

I don't think you need a server or anything.

And you need to invest in CAT5 cables also.

digen

Youngling
ammusk said:
Such one line answers or quotes or whatever you may call them dont help anyone.
Morever wi-fi suggestion you gave has already been discussed by other fellow members.The next time you post please make sure you read what has already be posted/suggested.

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
wifi quality will depend on ur rooms' structures and distances.
lan is simpler, cheaper and easy to troubleshoot.
if possible u can get all cables run through windows (no, not MS).

srijit

Broken In
i never recommended 8 port hubs. :)
also is it that big a deal if you get a slightly lesser bandwidth over the lan? its not as if its a hosting company :p

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
^ I think he did explain that switches are better than hubs. Quote: "but they are slow compared to switches". He just mentioned that a switch would be a bit expensive, in which case a cheaper hub would do fine :)

I guess techsammy should mention the way the guys are placed in his hostel , how far they are from each other, etc. In that case a suitable option can be suggested. As someone rightly pointed out, you can't have CAT5 cables running across the hostel from one room to the other ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom