Connect Outside my Subnet Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitun

Broken In
If i implement a server on my system then, only people having internet connection provideded by my ISP can access it.I think it is restricted by the subnet mask of my ISP.Is there any way so that anyone can access my system working as a server.Thank in advance.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
If you have a static address then anybody should be able to access your comp's server. Even if the ip is dynamic, anyone should be able to access your sys for the session. I don't think a subnet has anything to do with it

OP
J

jitun

Broken In
Every time i connect to the net(i have 24 hr connection) i am assigned an IP by DHCP(it remains same for at least 1-2 day)Can People using net connection other than provided by my ISP connect to me using that IP address?

amitgg

Journeyman
I think your server can be accessed worldwide through your computer name.

for e.g. if ur system name is 'XYZ' then it can be accessed using
*xyz

if there is any other computer named 'xyz' serving http anywhere and it is found by dns server before yours then it will be accessed.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
Amitgg, it doesn't work that way unless you have a mapping on a DNS server somewhere. And if you want something like *xyz, i don't think it is possible. What you are saying works on intranet through netbios (??? iguess but am not sure, only that it works on intranets. Something to do with the subnet mask) but not from another ISP.

But if a person knows your ip address he will be able to connect to your computer from his browser as *xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 or simply *xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

mediator

Technomancer
Agree with @ilugd....make it static and shud work fine, but i think making it static needs u to pay some buck to ur ISP!

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
which isp is that jitun. I think you are the guy i added on my yahoo buddy list aren't you. I think yesterday i checked your website and it was working. Are you the same? How was your exam?

Anyway in that case i think your isp is vnc or somethiing??

OP
J

jitun

Broken In
my Isp is not vnc.it is just a domain mane i got from no-ip.org .My IP for today is 203.98.108.130.And talking about my exam i was good.Sorry for the late reply.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
hmmm, no-ip.org eh? It is really wonderful to get such new info from you guys. I never would have thought of that.

amitgg

Journeyman
jitun said:
If i implement a server on my system then, only people having internet connection provideded by my ISP can access it.I think it is restricted by the subnet mask of my ISP.Is there any way so that anyone can access my system working as a server.Thank in advance.

Congrats Jitun, I found a good solution for ur query.

you must have heard of www.freedomain.co.nr,
register there with some name u want of your site,
like mine is www.techtics.co.nr,
give them ur IP address(dynamic)
now each time you start your web server (or ur ip address changes) just notify them( they will give u a link for notification).
from now on your users could access your website as www.yourname.co.nr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom