Confusion in reading/writing symbols!

Status
Not open for further replies.

REY619

Ambassador of Buzz
I bought a Asus dvd writer, i hv slight confusions regarding the reading/writing speeds and symbols!

It supports following formats-
DVD-RAM, DVD+/-R/RW, CD-Text/Extra, Karaoke CD, DVD Single/dual layer discs, CD-Rom/XA, Photo CD, CD-DA, Video CD, CD-R, CD-RW.

Now i want to know the full forms of the following notations-
DVD+/-R DL
DVD+/-RW
DVD-RAM(whats it?)
CD-R
CD-RW
what does +/- symbols mean etc.

I know the full forms of some of them but i have slight confusions!
Thanx!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
R=Recordable
RW=Re-Recordable
DL=Dual Layer
RAM=A format which is re-recordable, better than DVD-/+RW. Supports verification.
CD=Compact Disk
DVD=Digital Versatile Disk
+ and - These are just 2 formats of DVD media.

OP
R

REY619

Ambassador of Buzz
R=Recordable
RW=Re-Recordable
DL=Dual Layer
RAM=A format which is re-recordable, better than DVD-/+RW. Supports verification.
CD=Compact Disk
DVD=Digital Versatile Disk
+ and - These are just 2 formats of DVD media.
Thanx! One more quest, if i burn something on a CD-R disc will wont be able to delete the written data and write something else on it?
And will i be able to do the same on CD-RW?
Sorry if it sounds dumb, but im confused.
Thanx!

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
Well you can write again on CD-R if you have enabled multisession during the burning process but you won't be able to delete it.
If you are using CD-RW you can delete the contents as well as writing again and again.

OP
R

REY619

Ambassador of Buzz
Well you can write again on CD-R if you have enabled multisession during the burning process but you won't be able to delete it.
If you are using CD-RW you can delete the contents as well as writing again and again.
Wahey thanx :)

Pathik

Google Bot
hey if u burn a multi session disc (cdr)then u ll be able to delete the contents but u wont get free space..the space ll still remain occupied..
and it jus hides the contents doesnt delete it actually....

OP
R

REY619

Ambassador of Buzz
hey if u burn a multi session disc (cdr)then u ll be able to delete the contents but u wont get free space..the space ll still remain occupied..
and it jus hides the contents doesnt delete it actually....
Hmm means i cant delete the data from CD-R in such a way so that i get free space too! or is there a way to completely remove the data from CD-R with free space too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom