Confusion in choosing right file system for Portable USB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

It_is_Andrew

Broken In
I have bought 2.5" 60Gb seagate harddisk & a external HDD cassing set which i intend to use as a portable storage device.
Now i am confusd about which filsystem to choose while formatting the harddisk (ntfs or fat32).
Primarily i thought & was adviced to make a large ntfs partition & a smaller (<8gb) fat32 partition( incase i may need to use it in a win98 system & as one cant format larger than 32 gb in fat32 from disk management directly.)
but later i heard one may have problem with NTFS file format in a usb storage device because if you choose NTFS you cant use the option for the device "optimize for quick removal" anymore & then you have to always go through the "safely remove wizard" to detach the usb device from system or it may lead to data loss.

Now i am confused which would be best way to partition it & in which format?
Please suggest & if anyone use this kinda assembled portable hdd , please mention what you have done i your case.

nil_3

In the zone
The best option is to keep a small FAT32(say, 8 GB)and the rest NTFS partition.

Be it either FAT32 or NTFS(or both) you should always have to remove the device using "safely remove wizard" or else there will be data loss.

However, if you never have to deal with large SINGLE file greater than 4GB(specially .AVI video files, not even a double-layer copyof DVD because ithe VIDO_TS folder is splitted into 1GB files) you can safely keep the whole disk in two or more partitions of FAT32.

G

gxsaurav

try doing both ways, i never tried using a NTFS formated external HD with Windows 98, but if u r gonna use it with Win 98, then go for multiple FAT32 partitions

also there is no problem with NTFS partitioned HD & USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom