Confused about configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

parimal

Journeyman
want to make cost effective Pentium 4. Mostly non-HT CPU. But I'm confused about the CPU and Mobo combination. Should I use Pentium 4 Processor 2.26(Northwood) with Asus P4BP-MX 2.0 (845GV chipset) or Pentium 4 Processor 2.4(Prescott) with Asus P4GE-MX (845GE chipset). Please reply....!! I have very limited budget...just want basic PC.

swatkat

Technomancer
Go for 865 Chipset because u get both Graphics slot and onboard Extreme Graphics 2 GPU,845 does not have AGP slot.Also 865 mobo are not expensive.
The best 865 mobo is Intel D865GBF.

OP
P

parimal

Journeyman
Asus has newly launced P4GE-MX mobo based on 845GE chipset which has got an AGP slot....it is of 4x, but atleast it has a slot. Hmm...865 chipset...nice idea...but u need HT CPU to get full performance. I want non HT CPU with 845 chipset.....I said earlier naa....I need a basic PC. Just share ur Northwood and Prescott experience, so that CPU selection will be easier for me!!

nikhilesh

Journeyman
wat crap r u talikn abt???
wat full performance??ridiculous

go for an intel 865gbf with whatever processor u like.

y the hell do u think that u need ONLY HT to make that board function to its max huh?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
If ur gonna use a prescott there are heating issues my friend so think abt it. Also can u give the budget as to what ur lookin for ? It might put things in perspective as to what ur lookin for and people can help u better.

lol @ nikhilesh easy mate... dont get overworked on these things..am sure u have seen worse :)

OP
P

parimal

Journeyman
My dear friend Nikhilesh.....there is nothing ridiculous in my reply. If u r mounting a non HT CPU, there is no point in using 865. Actually, 865 has much better to offer...but only when u mount HT CPU. As far as Asus is giving AGP slot in 845 based mobo....I'll be happy to use 845 for non HT CPU. Also I like Asus boards more than so called Intel ( Which actually they don't make )....so I'll stick to much proven, rock solid, easily overclockable Asus mobos.
By the way....this is a really bad forum. People are not interested in giving replies....!!

nikhilesh

Journeyman
those **** mean cr@p.
i dont noe why digit has "starred"out the word CR@P.

it isnt bad.......

dude 865 has PAT technology(asus p4p800 specifically)which provides a pretty nice boost......

its ur choice dude,no point arguing..........

theraven

Technomancer
845 doesnt even support ddr400 nor 8x
but i guess that doesnt make a diff to u

the mobo capacity is fully utilised for whichever processor u use ... cuz its BUILT FOR THAT !!!

anyways there no point in arguin with u like nikhilesh said ...
for ur limited budget u can get a very good pc ... and that doesnt include the 845 chipset
u can go in for amd as well

anyways since ur soo adamant then dont ask for advice .

funkymonkey

Journeyman
advantages of 865 over 845.
1.Better memory architecture
2. support for all S478 CPUs. 845 wont support prescotts with 800Mhz FSB.
3. Dual channel DDR400, this makes all difference. 845 dosent support Dual channel DDR400
4. 865 by default dosent have PAT, only 875P chipsets do but ASUS has implimented function called Turbo mode which is basically what PAT does on 875. Gives nice boost in performance.
5. better onboard graphics than 845, of course if you are planning to use it. Otherwise get 865PE chipset motherboard and not 865G
6. Whatever CPU you use 865 will perform better than 845 chipset motherboard.

And yeah what nikhilesh has told is correct but he could have used better language ;) but he is telling the truth.

OP
P

parimal

Journeyman
No....I don't want such features.....I clearly mentioned earlier that I want ""BASIC"" PC......and my dear friend Nikhilesh I know 865 is better than 845....but can u kindly consider my budget and requirements?? If 865, then why not 925x which has got DDR2 and PCIe graphics and dolby audio?? U have to always consider budget......otherwise I won't be buying this poorly featured PC....I would have bought Athlon 64 with nForce4 mobo and 6800GT which will crush ur favorate 865....isn't it.....so cool down!!By the way today I got Asus P4GE-MX mobo with 845GE chipset and 4x AGP...which is perfectly suitable for my budget, and requirements!!! And hey guys thanks for ur help...!!
P.S. Some guys here consider themselves as techie guru, which they're not....he he!!!

rakesh_1024

Journeyman
Hey comeon, if u need a basic PC then Y not go for a second hand P3?? lol

865 is basic now. Is was in the executive segment earlier. Not now.
845 is outdated like the P2s and P3s.
If u go for 845 now, u would have to upgrade real early and hence an 845 would cost you more in the process.

Btw, I would seriously recommend AMD or better still AMD64.

swatkat

Technomancer
Yes man,as rakesh_1024 said 865 is basic,so i recommended it.See the range of chipsets 'above' 865,there is 875,915,925.
So now 865 is at the bottom.Also 865GBF doesnt cost a bomb.
Just telling you that you get most of your money.

swatkat

Technomancer
Yes man,as rakesh_1024 said 865 is basic,so i recommended it.See the range of chipsets 'above' 865,there is 875,915,925.
So now 865 is at the bottom.Also 865GBF doesnt cost a bomb.
Just telling you that you get most of your money. :)

funkymonkey

Journeyman
there are 865G chipset motherboards from makers like ASROCK, HIS, ASUS at 5K and even below. Go to lamington road, you will see asrock 865G based motherboards starting from 4250-4500. Its like 200-500 rs more than 845 and you get better things.
845 is dead duck now. If you are gona go for 845 based system i will rather suggest AMD Athlon xp 2400+ system. Will be cheaper and better.
Athlon Xp 2400+ now costs below 4K and motherboards are available from as low as 2.5K. A deascent motherboard for that system will cost your 3.5K. Overall in your budget of 845 + P4 2.4 you will get AMD Xp 2600+ or even 2800+ now a days along with Nforce motherboard which will end up performing better than P4 + 845 and will be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom