Configuring GCC & G++ on FC6 x86_64

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabster

In the zone
I installed FC 6 with default package selection, But G++ isn't working

though gcc -v display that it is configured for c,c++, java etc....But even a simple c hello program gives error while compiling...

also i am not able to use add/remove program....
I am kind of accustomed to Ubuntu's synaptic manager. What is the equivalent pakage manager in FC6...?

so all fedora guys can you help me how to configure gcc & g++,

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
The package manager in FC is Yum.... Type :
Code:
man yum

For details.

As for gcc and g++ on X86_64.... I have no clue. I guess you'll have to get u'r self a x86_64 gcc ver... Get an rpm from *rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/updates/testing/1/x86_64/gcc-3.3.2-6.x86_64.html or other similar sites and see if they work.

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
okay so gcc is completely working , But what about g++....
debian based ubuntu had super package manager, Just typing apt-get install build-essentials installed all the dependent .deb's

How to make g++ work in FC6...?

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
I tried the Add/Remove programs and it gives error and doesn't open...
It fails to refresh repository data, which I am astonished as to how can that be.

eddie

El mooooo
Would you now be giving us the exact errors you are facing or all of us should try and use our psychic powers to know them? Give us the exact errors my dear friend...else starting this thread is of no use to anyone.

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
I thought Any one of you wud tell me to just configure g++ on FC6, Anyways the Output is below.

[anurag@localhost cHello]$ cat cHello.cpp
#include<iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
cout<<"It works";
return 0;
}
[anurag@localhost cHello]$ g++ cHello.cpp
bash: g++: command not found
[anurag@localhost cHello]$ gcc cHello.cpp
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
[anurag@localhost cHello]$

Though I can compile the simple c Program.

praka123

left this forum longback
First just check if g++ is already there:
Code:
:~$whereis g++
I think u've yet to configure internet or YUM in fedora:
the rpm for g++ is called as gcc-c++-4.1.1-30.i386.rpm
so try it manually :eek:
remember u have to manually install dependencies.go to fedora repo and download g++ .then in a terminal as root(su -) install as rpm -Uvh g++.xx.rpm.then if some deps are not found it errs.then check the o/p for which rpms are needed.again go to fedora repo.download dependencies and lastly finish installation.
Yes.if you got a FC6 DVD-search for g++.rpm -it can save time
alternately use ur internet connection.configure YUM synonymous to Windows OS's Windows Update service.
*www.fedorafaq.org/
*www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/fmd/unix/platforms/linux/yum_config.html
And one more info there is a gui editor for c/cpp codes in Linux called Anjuta.

ps:did u got internet connxn working in fedora?

Last edited:
OP
D

dabster

In the zone
I had tried earlier "locate g++" and it wasn't there. I have the FC6 x86_64 DVD will look on that and install g++ RPM, But FC doesn't have any good Package manager....? Ubuntu has Synaptic and Suse has YAST which are excellent, specially the latter one.

What do we have on FC...?
will try figuring YUM...
Also I wasn't able to configure dataone using "setup-adsl" though I saw lots of posts here.

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
I get message "unable to refresh repositories: core" due to no network connection and then it fails, similarily some message comes for yum and it doesn't work.
can't I just control the packages that I have on DVD thru any package manager.

Finally I searched packages on DVD gcc-c++ and libstdc++-devel and installed directly, now g++ is working. Its an irony that during installation i opted for development tools but g++ didn't get installed by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom