CONFIG SUGGESTION POSTS HERE PLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theraven

Technomancer
hes just trying to start a new thread for all configuration problems
like we have all gpu questiosn should go here sticky
besides this was tried out quite sometime back .. and scorned at quite a bit ....
i dun remember the username tho !!!
anyways ... ur luck ....

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Ok i have a query.
I have a Powersafe 500 Watt SMPS.It is not sufficient for my system and i wish to put my 350 Watt SMPS to use.In short i want to use 2 PSUs for same system,any solutions ?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
well now.....a new config thread being attempted to made sticky ehhhhh......what next a monitor or a hard disk thread...lol :lol: :lol:

well the attempt is good supersayain......will try to round up some newbies to ur thread......already there are couple of posts made for config's....hope they get the essence of ur thread and begin postin in....good luck :D

theraven

Technomancer
:shock:
what the ?

lol
ok sure m8 ..
u cant connect the psus in parallel thats for sure
just mod the cabinet a bit so u can mount the second psu somewhere
and use individual plug points
thats all i can think of ....

ps : if u dun mind me askin
i know u have sli in workin mode
but how exactly is 500 w psu NOT enough for ur system ??

darklord

Cyborg Agent
theraven said:
ps : if u dun mind me askin
i know u have sli in workin mode
but how exactly is 500 w psu NOT enough for ur system ??

Raven,
Your query is totally justified,infact i was surprised in the beginning too.

But the thing is the PSU available in india never supply the rated wattage.

Amngst the whole lot,powersafe is far better,agreed.

The main drawback of that PSU is that it offers only 18A on +12V rail,which is too low for a 500 Watt SMPS.It should atleast be 20-24 A.

Now according to Asus if you put 2 x 6800GT in SLI ,it is recommended to use an SMPS offering 20+ A on +12 V rail.

Here is my complete config,

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ [winchester]
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe mobo
1 GB DDR400 Transcend RAM
80 GB Hitachi HDD
200 GB Seagate Cuda HDD
Benq DW1610 DVD-RW
2 x XFX 6800 GT in SLi

Now looking at that config,there arent too many devices but still i get 11.7 or less on +12V rail,which is not good.

Also i experience frequent crashes,cold boot ups...

So i guess you can imagine what the scenario is now.

I have worked out a way for it,lets hope the experiment works.

Will let you know if it works. :wink:

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
correct me if I am wrong, but I read somewhere that it isnt advisable to connect two PSU's in parallel ?? !

It " might" be possible to use two supplies, but not with them both connected to the same part of the load.
Using one for the motherboard, and the other for drives/fans etc may work, providing they are both connected to the case electrically. However, as most supplies need a minimum load on all rails, and the one powering drives would have no load on the 3.3V rail you may blow the supply! Switching the supplies would also be difficult, without using a relay to operate both at once.
Without experience of electronics construction it would be difficult, and probably more expensive that buying a larger supply in the first place.

And I am curious as to the kind of soultion u managed darklord.

quad master

In the zone
I am too waiting for which solution is working out for you Darklord.

Do let me know.

Your Config is absolutely fabulous gr8 choice.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Ok here is what i did,

I took a 350 Watt SMPS,in the 20 Pin ATX mobo power connector,shorted the green and the black wire.
When you switch on ur PC theses 2 wires get shorted.

So when i shorted the two wires by a single core wire,as soon as i give power to the SMPS,it starts.

Now i connected the HDDs,DVD-RW & Fans on this PSU.

I Connected the 500 Watt PSU to the Mobo so it was giving power only to mobo,CPU,grafix cards,thats all.

Mind you i DID not short the 2 PSUs together.So it is as good as saying that HDDs and stuff get entirely external power.

Now i have connected this PSU alongwith the 500Watt to the UPS.
So when i start the UPS,the 350 Watt SMPS starts,starting the fans,HDD & DVD-RW get power.No i start my machine.Since HDD and DVD-RW have power from beginning,system works flawlessly.

I guess i ahve tried my best to explain it as simple as possible.

If you ahve any other query,please get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom