Computer powers on but doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsb

Broken In
I have assembled my PC about one and half year back. It is AMD Athlon Based Computer with A7n8X Dlx motherboard, 512 MB Ram, Two dists (One SATA 80 GB one IDE 8 GB), running on XP.

For Past few days, I am facing this problem

On switchin on the computer, it powers on, i.e., indicator lights are on, the fan moves but there is no effect on any of the peripheral, i.e, key board, mouse, monitor...so basically nothing happens.

It appears as if BIOS itself is not loading.

I was facing this problem for last two months but for many days, everything used to work if i kept the PC box switched on for 10-15 minutes and re-switched again. But for last 15 days, nothing happens simply.

Can anybody explain to me ..whats going on and what should I do now.

Regards,

B S Bora

PS: I have already changed the mothrboard battery. No improvement.

planetcall

Indian by heart
Maybe SMPS. I had similar problem. My 300W SMPS had problem which I detected after many hassles. I strongly suggest you get it checked.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
check if the monitor is working fine or not..
remove the monitor cable frm the back of the CPU and see if any display comes on ..

remove RAM modules and re-insert them...

if re-seating of RAM doesn't work start by removing devices one-by-one..remove all the PCI devices like mode,LAN card etc...restart and check..

i think i was having the same problem with my first PC...HP Pavilion... but i dont think i did anything for this issue..went away on its own!

PS>>>Do u use UPS ??

theraven

Technomancer
the problem lies either with ur SMPS or ur motherbaord

ur not getting any beeps at startup are u ?

check the smps first else ull need to replace r mobo afaik

janitha

Wise Old Owl
theraven said:
the problem lies either with ur SMPS or ur motherbaord

ur not getting any beeps at startup are u ?

check the smps first else ull need to replace r mobo afaik

Yes, how many beeps you are getting on start up? Make sure that everything is properly inserted. Also try cleaning the contats of rams by using an eraser (ordinary pencil eraser).

V.Prem Kumar

OP
B

bsb

Broken In
Thanks to everyone who responded,

Problem resolved.

SMPS is OK. Re-inserting Battery and RAM solved the problem.

Thanks again

bsb

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
i know that the problem is solved but i have a query. the guy said that if he kept his pc on for 10 to 15 min then it works. is similar to a car whose battery is down. after accelerating for a few min, the battery get recharged a little bit. so was it d prob cos if it was then this mns dat his batt is low and he need get a new one.

but if the batt is down for how long his pc keeps on working and why?

and yeh if ram is the prob then can sum1 tell how can it b da prob

although his prob is solved but who was d culprit???

hsksattish

Broken In
I had a similar problem. I just removed the cpu and cleaned the slot thoroughly. It worked. Maybe after somtime the fan blew away some of the dust and the motherboard started working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom