Status
Not open for further replies.

Aseem Nasnodkar

In the zone
Hi friends.
I wanted to go in for a CD-Writer.
But i had a second thought, a combo drive - a cd-writer and a dvd player, as I don't have one. It goes affordable.
But the only problem is that i have been hearing sorry strories of combo drives not performing, or their life being short.
So i was in doubts whether to go in for it or not.
Please help soon.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I would suggest get two separate drives - one DVD-ROM, one CD-Writer. That way you can later just replace whatever goes out of order. There is not even too much cost difference in going for separate drives. Even when you send one for repairing, you can at lease do a part of the work depending on what's working.

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
tuxfans right ! if ur combo goes kaput u r left with nothing ! so its advisable to go for a separate cd rw and a separate dvd rom. its only going to cost a coupla hundered bucks more but is worth it .

busyanuj

In the zone
tuxfan said:
I would suggest get two separate drives - one DVD-ROM, one CD-Writer. That way you can later just replace whatever goes out of order. There is not even too much cost difference in going for separate drives. Even when you send one for repairing, you can at lease do a part of the work depending on what's working.

I agree.
having DVD ROM and CD RW as separate drives is better than having a combo, besides it costs about the same price.

OP
A

Aseem Nasnodkar

In the zone
Liteon Combo 3000/-

Hey my dealer has suggested a price of 3000 bucks for liteon combo drive. Should i go for it?
Yes people do tell me that Liteon was good. But again I thought of the Digit offer of Samsung - 2600/-. But my dealer told me that there are local taxes to that cost and that would come round about the same. But will Samsung put a thumb down for a home user (writing max. 10 cd's a month and viewing only digit cd's?).
Or liteon would be all time favourite?

Yes it's true........ if my drive goofs up than i don't have both either!
Should i go for a Samsung CR-RW (Dealer price 1800/-) and a dvd rom seperate (I don't know the cost. what should it be like?).

Well i am a bit

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Kannan

In the zone
Try to have two separate drives, DVD-ROM & CD-Writer.

Lot of my friends got in trouble getting the combo drive. Most of them where having probelms in writing rather than reading.

The other advantage in having a separate drive is that, even if you loss one of the drive still you have another drive to work on.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Aseem, there are many people here who share the same view as regards a combo drive. Read thru the posts and you will find out that many of us suggest two separate drive instead of a combo drive. I repeat what I said, go for separate drives.

BTW, I will start a new thread/poll and request for opinions. That could give you some better idea. :)

tuxfan

Technomancer
Here's the thread which contains an opinion poll on this topic. :)
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6108

tuxfan

Technomancer
As can be seen from the posts and the poll on the other thread, the majority of people (so far about 94%!!) are in favour of two separate drives.

rajivfire

Right off the assembly line
i hav got a sony combo. it works magic.i got it for 3100/- from mumbai
. now don't ask how. if u r ready to shell out more then try going for dvd-writer,it comes for around 6to7k.don't forget to ask for dual layered dvd writer.
[/i]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom