Click 'N' Run Comes to Ubuntu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/pfiles/3813/cnr-beta-logo.pngCNR is a FREE and easy way to access over 37,264 desktop Linux products, packages and libraries, all with a single mouse click. Finding, installing and managing software on your desktop Linux computer has never been that easy.

CNR makes the finding of the right piece of software easy to do, with user reviews, screenshots, descriptions, charts, and so on. When you the software you want, with only one click, it will be installed on your computer and icons will be added to your desktop and to the Start Menu. Also, CNR notifies you when updates are available for the installed applications via the CNR.com website, which you can easily install with one click.
CNR also offers dozens of commercial Linux software titles for sale, such as popular games, Sun's StarOffice, Win4Lin, CodeWeaver's Crossover Office, Parallels Workstation, TransGaming's Cedega, and many other commercial Linux products.This is really a revolutionary moment for all computer users all around the world. I sure hope that it will bring many new users into the Linux world.If you have Ubuntu 7.04 or Ubuntu 7.10 go right now at the CNR’s website, install the CNR client and grab your favorite applications with a single mouse click!

Getting started with CNR

Open Terminal and type
Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and add these line at the bottom of the Notepad
Code:
deb *apt2.freespire.org/CNRUbuntuExtra gutsy-extra main restricted
deb-src *apt2.freespire.org/CNRUbuntuExtra gutsy-extra main restricted

Note: We recommend to uncheck the Cdrom with Ubuntu 7.10 'Gutsy Gibbon' entry in the "Ubuntu Software" tab.

Now type the following ; -

Code:
sudo apt-get update

If you get an error about a public key for the CNR repositories, ignore it and install the CNR client, from the command prompt with:

Code:
sudo apt-get install cnr-client

Once installed, you can activate the CNR client from System Tools -> CNR and let the client synchronize with the CNR.com website.

Home Page : Find Software

vaithy

In the zone
I was using CNR in freespire, but not very much impressed. as it take too much time for intaling single application, some time after consuming half an hour, proudly announced, 'the application failed to installed' prompt... so how this time it is fairing as open source avatar? Let us wait and see!!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Its absolutely useless for Ubuntu where you already have great apt:// URL and GetDeb resources apart from "The Universe".

Gives me Windows shivers. :(

Might be useful for RPM based distros.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
CNR is a FREE and easy way to access over 37,264 desktop Linux products, packages and libraries, all with a single mouse click. Finding, installing and managing software on your desktop Linux computer has never been that easy.
I must be totally lost but doesn't "Add/Remove..." do the same? How are they different please?

Pat

Beyond Smart
exx_2000 said:
I must be totally lost but doesn't "Add/Remove..." do the same? How are they different please?

For Add/Remove, you need the sources mentioned in your "sources.list" ! CNR is like a central repository!

One big advantage that CNR has over synaptic/add-remove is that of UGC (User-Generated Content)! CNR has this feature where in users can post their comments/reviews about the packages that they download! If I remember correctly, Ubuntu has plans to implement something like this in their very own Add/Remove tool too :)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
CNR has this feature where in users can post their comments/reviews about the packages that they download! If I remember correctly, Ubuntu has plans to implement something like this in their very own Add/Remove tool too

That would be very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom