Choice of Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

beauty66

Broken In
I would like to upgrade my system.I would like to have amd system.
I have stuck in slection of my mobo wether to with asus KN8X-E Deluxe or
Krypton C18G-400 motherboard.Iwould like to which mobo has onboard video.Suggest me friends. :oops: :oops:

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
first of all..what are the other components ur lookin to upgrade? AMD which processor ? Could you give us a lil more details ? I personally would say ASUS all the way....but then we need more details about ur proposed config mate!

theraven

Technomancer
whatever u do
go for asus
also krypton i dun like very much
ur other choices are msi and gigabyte ...
if u want good quality and gr8 performance dont look bneyond these 3
i strongly suggest asus

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
wonder if raven works secretly for ASUS ;) hehe...kidding mate... I think the A78x has onboard video...check it out...and it comes within ur price range.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
You can get the Asus A7N8X-X for arnd 5k easily ............the krypton is also a decent mobo. but since ur budget is 6k go for this and adding 900 bucks will get u a A7N8X dlx with overclocking,wifi etc ......;)

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The Krypton C18G-400 is actually a repackaged Biostar M7NCG-400. I've used about 2 dozen of them and they're quite good. It has a GeForce4 MX class onboard video which is OK for casual gaming or for those who simply cannot afford a good separate gfx card. It'll be around 4k.

The Asus equivalent is the A7N8X-VM which will cost roughly 1k more. Other versions of the A7N8X don't have onboard gfx.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Oh, and the Asus A7N8X-X will not run your RAM in dual-channel mode while the C18G-400 will.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against Asus ! They're tops. But in some cases, a brand with a lower profile will have a good solution for a specific purpose, usually at a lower price.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I don't have the specs with me right now, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head :

Since you want onboard video, let's narrow down the comparision between the C18G-400 and the A7N8X-VM. The two are very similar - They're both micro-ATX boards, they both use the nForce2 chipset, they both have GeForce4 MX onboard video, an 8x AGP slot, 3 PCI slots, 10/100 LAN, 6-channel audio.

The main differences are -

The Krypton board has a 15-pin D-sub game port which the Asus doesn't.

The Krypton has 2 rear USB ports plus headers for 4 more. The Asus mobo has 4 rear USB ports plus headers for 2 more.

The Krypton has 3 RAM slots while the Asus board has 2.

The Krypton mobo can run RAM in dual-channel mode while the Asus board needs to have a separate gfx card installed to do this.

The Krypton mobo has a TV-out header. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the Asus board has this feature.

As I said, I'm reciting this from memory, so anyone is welcome to correct me if I got something wrong. Performance-wise, I don't have independent third-party benchmarks, but I expect the scores would be quite close.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
If you want a64bit processor based mobo then ur lookin at completely different set of requirements. Can you tyell us exactly what ur lookin for ? Cos the 64 bit processor based mobos means the nforce 3 chipsets.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
icecoolz's right. We've been discussing 32-bit boards because you stated that you were going for an Athlon XP 2600+. You cannot put an Athlon XP in a 64-bit mobo, and you can't put a 64-bit CPU in a 32-bit board.

You also said that you want onboard video. AFAIK, no 64-bit board has onboard video so far, though this will certainly change in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom