Status
Not open for further replies.

CyCo

In the zone
what happened is that my personal folder on my HDD got corrupted ...

i cdnt use a recovery software as the folder disappeared due to my waiting for a week figuring out wat to do ...

when i ran chkdsk it recovered all 11GB's of it but converted to *.CHK format ... i was able to recover a lot of files using this small , handy and very efficient tool called FILECHK but it did not recover lots of formats especially DOC files ...

i searched the web but could only get CHK-MATE which really really sux as it takes sooooooo longggg to do 1 files and i need to do another 3000 .....

i even searched the threads here but cdnt find anything ...

PLS HELP !!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hmm, take a look at this page.

*www.ericphelps.com/uncheck/

I haven't seen any good data recovery software other than PC Inspector File Recovery or CHK-Mate, which is pretty much one of the best tools in your case.

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
PC Inspector File Recovery is for recovering files .... i need to convert them ...

i tried the link u gave me

i have used filechek and unchek makes huge splits (say 20 10 MB splits for a small word doc .... its useless)

any other ideas ???

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Yeah, I know PCIFR wont work, I just said that I didnt know anything else that was reliable at data recovery. Sorry, mate, but I dont know anything else that can do it fast. Everywhere I see, I see only CHK-Mate being recommended. :(

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
dude i recovered the data in the form of CHK files so all the recovery tools are useless as recovery is possible max until a week ...

CHK mate is the kind of thing i want .. except for the fact that it sux big time ....

it maybe ok for 2-3 files , but not for abt the 3000 i have left outta 8000 ......

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
why only 2-3 files , i was able to fix 1000+ by scanning through them all . plus we all wish we had quick recovery methods , sad part is we dont ;) . willing to pay for original recovery s/w lol

some more for u and others who might have a similar situation .

*www.fileboost.net/directory/utilities/file/flobo_chk_identifier/015072/review.html

*www.mjm.co.uk/software.html

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
del : can someone delete this single post , the delete X is missing for this one alone . weird

Dipen01

Youngling
buddy...

its not as easy as it seems...the other day i was just resizing my HDD and power went off.. when power resumed... to my surprise i saw was 33400 .chk files... and my 90% data was lost.... i mean was in this .chk file....

so i posted it here and enoon suggested me filechk and unchk.. filechk was working great but u know it would be practically impossible for me to recover 33400 files...

SO I FORMATTED it...... hehehe u can do the same...... :lol: :lol:

Cheers,,,
Dipen

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
filechk roks ! et recovered 60% of abt 8000 files in ten mins or so ... so it is not impossible to recover 33400 files ...

thanks for these softwares klinux willl try and let u kno ...

sorry dipen cant format my hdd .. too much data on it (120 gig)

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
klinux said:
why only 2-3 files , i was able to fix 1000+ by scanning through them all . plus we all wish we had quick recovery methods , sad part is we dont ;) . willing to pay for original recovery s/w lol

some more for u and others who might have a similar situation .

*www.fileboost.net/directory/utilities/file/flobo_chk_identifier/015072/review.html

*www.mjm.co.uk/software.html

these softwares were really good except for the fact that they tell me what file i may have but dont convert them .. for that i will need to buy them ... i wanted somethin like filechk which is a shareware or freeware not a limited trial .... pls help !!

now that i kno that there are some files which can b converted (as tikd by mjm converter i cant even delete em ....)

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
kurious : u said u can't use recovery software . which one did u try anyway ? stellar phoenix ntfs or recover 4 all and others listed somewhere inthe forum , some free might be able to recover long lost data if ur using ntfs , even if its been a while . there might be a possible chance of recovering the files along with file names and extensions if u recover the partition details .

theres this good one called test disk . just run it to see if u get a list of the files / folders ur looking for intact and then just write that particular partition to the drive . not sure , but if ur partition table gets corrupted , u usually end up with chk files . if u retrieve it , just might be able to get the partition with data too . give it a try and tell how it works out

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13783&highlight=testdisk

Dipen01

Youngling
hey buddy..

@cyco:- Buddy the prob was not of recovering thru filechk... actually it was to place that files again to thier repective folders... the partition which i formatted was of 12 G's and i had nearly 3 G's of wallpapers (approx. 20-25 K) and aroung 1 GB of Doc file.... and rest were movies..
so even if i recoverd all 33400 but then the sorting would be practically impossible for me.. as even names are replaced as file???1.chk and all.. so i decided to format... that was only option left.. though my wallpaper collection was really good.. but u see cant help...

anywys happy for u... atleast u recoverd what u want...

Cheers..
Dipen

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
the recovery wasnt a problem ...

i just waited too long ...... otherwise stellar was good ....

but then the folder stopped showin coz it did a chkdsk ....

so now i gotta convert those filez .....

do u kno of ne other chk converter ???

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
did u try the test disk ??? it doesnt scan for hours , just few minutes and u might , just might be able to get back ur previous file name info and structure whjich was lost . other than listing missing lost partitions , u can also browse through the files u had prior to any error

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
*freshmeat.net/projects/testdisk
TestDisk is a tool to check and undelete partitions. It works with the following partitions.............

*www.pcquest.com/content/handson/2004/104093003.asp
A DOS-based hard-disk partition recovery tool that supports most of the popular file systems

dude i dont need to recover a partition or nethin ....
just need to convert those **** CHK files .....

neways i reformatted that drive so there is no chance of data recovery ... tho i have still kept the CHK files in hope of findin a good software that will make me recover my datta :(

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
ok long shot . U have 3000 files of .chk and want only the doc right ??????????

If ur system is fast and u got high memory try these .

Method 1 : Take a backup of those 3000 files in any other folder . go to DOS and
>ren *.chk *.doc
Now open 10 files at a time and see if they are the docs u had .

Alternative : would be to do a search on the chk/doc file folder and instead of file name , just enter the "containing text" as
"MICROSOFT"
or
"MICROSOFT WORD"
or
"MICROSOFT WORD DOCUMENT"
or
"MSWordDoc"

(ie "Search for file or folders named" = leave it blank or just *.*
"containing text" = use above key words )
another way to reduce the number of possibilities is to start searching for file sizes above 20 kb . ie , the minimum space on ur PC that a word document with just one character would take . Plus u can also type in the keywords u might have entered in ur most important docs in the "containing text" field

PS : DO all this only on the backed up chk/doc files and not on the ones u originally recovered .

I repeat , this is a long shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom