Checksum for Slackware 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku

Gonna make it BiG
Hi, yesterday a friend of mine gave me a slackware 11.0 installation dvd.
i was planning to install it right now but i fear the media might be faulty... i can see a few scratches.. so i was wondering if i can check the media b4 i start the installation.
any kinda help wud b highly appritiated.

PS. is there any way to do the same (ie. check the media) for PCQLinux2007?.. any1 havin its checksum file?

eddie

El mooooo
If you have any type of Linux distro installed then it is very easy for Slackware. Mount the DVD in your existing distro and go to its root folder. There just give the command
Code:
md5sum -c CHECKSUMS.md5 | less
If you don't have any distro installed then you can boot from the DVD and at the very beginning of the install i.e. before you type "setup", do the above routine. Mount your DVD some place and run md5sum as explained earlier. If any file fails md5sum check...it means some problem with DVD.

Vivek788

In the zone
@eddie
So I have to basically burn a disc to know if the image I downloaded is working?
Doesnt't windows have any s/w or commands in DOS for md5sum??

rocket357

Security freak
Vivek788 said:
@eddie
So I have to basically burn a disc to know if the image I downloaded is working?
Doesnt't windows have any s/w or commands in DOS for md5sum??

As praka said, you can check the md5sum before burning to disk, and as for Windows md5 (should really be using a more secure/collision resistant hash, but eh, md5 will do I suppose), I've googled it and after checking less than half a dozen I've located one that is free. (or just purchase one...the prices seem reasonable).

*www.toast442.org/md5/

that's the first free one I found...*I have NOT tested this, I'm merely linking it for your convenience*!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom