Checkout my SandyBridge i7

Piyush

Lanaya
thats a very nice purchase
congrats sam
and just 6 sec to load windows?!?!?....I'm starting to hate myself waiting for the desktop to load

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Congrats Sam9s....

Your need to plan your cable management very soon. It looks very much dirty & that cable management doesn't justify the CM 690.

I know I am not much good in cable management ..lolzz ...... but getting this alone done took me 4 hours at a stretch .... I was so tired after the complete built, I didnt have the guts left to do a proper cable management :( ...... all sata cables are still at the back, I got 4 SATA IIs HDDs, 2 Optical drives, and one SSD, so you can see, lot of cabling is still not visible ....

That would be very kind of you. I still can't believe 6 seconds! WOW. Compare to normal HDD it's 5x faster, great.

and you said the CPU Idle is 35°C, what's the ambient?

It is actually you got tir figure exactly right, 5x faster ....... I uploaded few more applications and windows does not seem to slow down .....( and mind you I have not even yet OCed the PC) ............ check out THIS article, and you would know what I mean .....

However to be frank, and transparent, the applications that uses internet to load creates a mess, like I use Trillian as my chat client, and what I installed that, I could ealisy see 1.5 seconds added to my 6 sec record, coz the bloody application connects to internet and then loads :-x .....

Coming to the ambient, I guess it was around 32-33C, I am not sure, but AC is switched off ATM, so what ever is the actuall temp is the ambient temp .....

Congrats Dude... love the load up speeds of WIndows.. its freaking Awesome, killer man... I thought that U might go for the latest Intel 510 SSD or the OCZ Vertex 3 SSD but who cares, u got the SSD wen many of us here are cursing the spinning mode of our HDDs to churn up a lil' bit more Mb per sec .. lol...

Hey thats a total useless air cooler, infact its just worse buddy... the cooling and temp lowering speeds are far worse than the T.R.U.E 120 (Rev C) or even the Prolimatech MEga Halems or Noctua NH D-14... :)

Thanks friend .... OCZ Vertex 3 is killer man, and I was looking for it, but sadly it was not available, heck even Intel was hard to fine, all I was getting was some model from corsair, which I did not want to go, I had to wait for a week to get the Intel one .....
About the cooler, I am sure N620 will do just good ...... but if at all I see that its becoming hard to controll temp, I might then go for a water cooling kit like Corsair H60/H70 ....

d3p

PowerHouse
I know I am not much good in cable management ..lolzz ...... but getting this alone done took me 4 hours at a stretch .... I was so tired after the complete built, I didnt have the guts left to do a proper cable management :( ...... all sata cables are still at the back, I got 4 SATA IIs HDDs, 2 Optical drives, and one SSD, so you can see, lot of cabling is still not visible ...

4 hours for fixing is quite a huge time IMO to fix things up. Regarding Cable management, you could have planned it during the first installation itself, that could have saved your weekends..

About the cooler, I am sure N620 will do just good ...... but if at all I see that its becoming hard to controll temp, I might then go for a water cooling kit like Corsair H60/H70 ....

you don't require a after market cooler, if the overclocking rates are in moderate level, coz the intel stock cooler performs nice & sandybridge stays cool. Instead of H60 or H70, get a Noctua NH-D14, if & only if your overclock fails in temperatures...

ithehappy

Human Spambot
It is actually you got tir figure exactly right, 5x faster ....... I uploaded few more applications and windows does not seem to slow down .....( and mind you I have not even yet OCed the PC) ............ check out THIS article, and you would know what I mean .....

However to be frank, and transparent, the applications that uses internet to load creates a mess, like I use Trillian as my chat client, and what I installed that, I could ealisy see 1.5 seconds added to my 6 sec record, coz the bloody application connects to internet and then loads :-x .....

Coming to the ambient, I guess it was around 32-33C, I am not sure, but AC is switched off ATM, so what ever is the actuall temp is the ambient temp .....

OK, thanks for that Article. and you know that it isn't fair to compare a software like Trillian to consider the speed of your SSD. Anyway, it is 5x faster than a normal HDD and that's now proved. I was thinking of getting a WD Black but I might have to change my decision.

If your ambient temp is around 32-33°C then that CPU temp is just great. It's 8-10°C cooler than mine though I have a poor Hyper 212+ :(, I think that Cooler is doing a perfect job, OC it and test with some Prime benchmarks, see what the temp reaches max, and if it stays below 70°C I don't think you have to buy a H70 :)

One more thing, the Cabinet you using is just great and frankly it's enough. Just do some cable management and it will have enough airflow. I have the same as yours and even I did some cable management, so it should be an easy job for ya :)

abhidev

Human Spambot
@sam: nice purchase...how much did the total cost come to?

Also are you running a server...why 5tb?

Cilus

laborare est orare
@Sam...great purchase..congrats man. But as everybody is suggesting, I am also asking you to go for different PSU. Is it possible for you to change the PSU now? if yes then get a Tagan Stonerock 600W @ 4K

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Thanks you all for the inputs ....... hold on I will post each and every bench mark, on stock and OC as well, was reading couple of articles on OC and it seems I am ready to hit the production ....... just to start I did a small Prime95 test on stock system settings, IDEL and on load ........ also a tiny bench mark for SSD ....... here we go ....

Below pic includes details on IDLE conditions as you can see no CPU load, temp outside is 33C ambient room might be 34, CPU temp is 39C which is ok. You can also see cpu running at 1.6Ghz, thats speedstep jumping in ......

*i55.tinypic.com/atp47l.jpg

next one is CPU running Prime95, on full load. CPU temp a very respectable 59C (with prime95 running for around 20-30 minutes) . CPU frequency the stock 3.4 (again speedstep controlling the flow). So we can safely assume that with another 1 or 1.5 Ghz chipped in the temp should not increase by more then 10C, and so my guess at 4.4, or 4.5 it should be around 70-72 .. which is perfectly okie .....but thats just a guess ... we will see what happen when I OC in just about an hour or so ....

*i55.tinypic.com/16ks4kg.jpg

Lastly SSD bench mark, notice the random(4K) write which is what most of the time happens (not sequential). A rocking 32.14MBps as against to the avg 0.6/0.8 MB/s, my fastest WD 7200 64MB cache recorded a humiliating 0.88MB/s ....... The fasted HDD on the planet which is WD VelociRaptor 10K rpm drive manages a max off 1.6MB/s ...:)

*i54.tinypic.com/2vds2tl.jpg

Off to OCing ....... more benchmarks coming ..... :smile::smile:

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
^^ Naaa I am the OC types man .... else I could have gone for a much cheaper board and i72600 and not the K one .... With C2D as well I was one off the top OCers on air cooling touching 3.22ghz. And at that time as well I bought the latest hardware so that I can OC it to the max .... I love OCing .... simple as that .... though I agree one might not even need it .......depends on the passion for your system ... :)

msaiashwin

Journeyman
@sam9s...i too have the same processor with the same cooler hyper n620....but i am using a maximus iv extreme board with a haf x case....my ambient is around 30 but the humidity is very high as i am from vizag which is a coastal place..i get idle of around 43 for one core and the remaining are at around 38..are these good temps?at load while playing crysis 2 or unigine heaven the peak core is at 55 and the remaining are at 49...can you post your individual cores temps using hw monitor? With the ac on the temp on the peak core at idle is 37 and remaining are at 30...please reply.. I did not overclock.. stillat stock 3.4..

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
@sam9s...i too have the same processor with the same cooler hyper n620....but i am using a maximus iv extreme board with a haf x case....my ambient is around 30 but the humidity is very high as i am from vizag which is a coastal place..i get idle of around 43 for one core and the remaining are at around 38..are these good temps?at load while playing crysis 2 or unigine heaven the peak core is at 55 and the remaining are at 49...can you post your individual cores temps using hw monitor? With the ac on the temp on the peak core at idle is 37 and remaining are at 30...please reply.. I did not overclock.. stillat stock 3.4..

with ambient temp 30, IDLE 43 is a bit high ..... usually a difference of 7,8 degrees is considered decent ..... 55 at load is just fine, you dont need to worry.........I will post indivisual temps as well, both at IDLE and OCed ...

great config sam9s. where did you buy your components from???

From Nehru Place, New Delhi ... :)

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I am just amazed with the speed of SSD, just awesome. I think it's time to buy SSDs rather than going for WD Cavier Bkack or else....a SSD is worth every penny, even at current price. But I'd also like to know if there a noticable difference occurs while Gaming, if yes then by how much FPS..

@ashwin- I don't have a lot of idea about PC stuffs but I do about weather stuff :), so you might have the same room temp as Sams but there are other important factors to include, like- Humidity, Air pressure, Precipitation and else...and as your humidity is high you should have higher temp than Sam's, so by that consideration your temp is just OK :)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
@OP:dont compare 6850 to 5850.Rather compare to 6950 because the 6850 rplaces the 5750,not the 5850.

AMD had upped the number scheme by 1 to acommodate the fusion chips at the lower segment.Apparantly your homework was incorrect.
Everyone who decries the 6870 for not being faster than 5870 should know that they are comparing a performance card(6870) to an enthusiast card (5870) belonging to different segments.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@ithehappy:
Unless you install the game on the SSD, you will not notice much of a difference. Level load times probably a bit, but not FPS.

Even I am considering a 60GB SSD. :) About time.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
SSDs only affect caching (virtual memory that is) and boot times of OS games etc.They make no difference whatsoever on the game framerates.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ They does make a difference when you install the game on it. What asingh said is absolutely correct. Ssd's should be used a primary partition and thats will spruce things up. But the particular game has to be installed in the ssd partition to get some fps increments.

Top Bottom