Check before EXCHANGING... but HOW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
I want to exchange my older (3 years old) "Seagate 80 GB HD"... with a new "Samsung 80 GB / 7200 rpm" HD

But before i switch... I want to see, if NEW HD has error or not... you know "Bad Sector" and all

Anyways I can see ? (the NEW 80 GB is in NTFS format)

Please... help!!!

Anand_RF

Journeyman
In windowsxp, if you do a chkdsk, it gives you details on whether a drive has bad sectors or not. To do chdsk - start >> run. type chkdsk x: where x is the letter of the drive. Do this for all drives, at the end of the test it'll give you results saying "x kb in bad sectors." You're lucky if the x here is 0. If not, all I can tell you is - Don't buy.

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
well.. it does work :) thanks...

********* BUT *********

how can i see the result ?

My computer...will close the cmd prompt soooo FAST :(

i can barely read the result :(

Do you have good softwares and all ? to see, in windows itself ?

thx
Soul

Anand_RF

Journeyman
Windows is the best software you'll need.
Do this -
Start >> Run. Type "cmd" then press enter. You should get a ms-dos style command prompt box.
*. Now type chkdsk x: where x: is your drive letter. The rest is as I said in that post, only this time, the command prompt window wont close after completion. It'll stay open for you to view. See the x kb in bad sectors line. :)

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
i just checked me disks (old ones)

and... in C: the result shows this:

8193118 KB total disk space.
3751456 KB in 28381 files.
9432 KB in 2353 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.

Now.. .that "0 KB in bad sectors"... came up !!!

in other partition... when i check " nothing with bad sector showed"

so... that means there is Bad sector in C: ?
(it's just that there is no, data in it? ) HELP !!!

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi akshayt

that was a very helpful tip...I used to check for bad sectors in dod mode when I use to have win98se...but when I switched to XP a couple of years ago I struggeld a great deal to get the results in XP until today. Thanks for your tip. BTW you replied gsoul2soul with "hdtach" ...what does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom