Cheapest Dual Core CPU : Intel Pentium D 805

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

This is kind of old news, Intel has released the Pentium D 805 for a low price $150, some time ago

The Pentium D 805 is dual core, runs on the Smithfield core, which is better then previous Prescott, runs cooler then comparable Prescott. It gives 2X1 MB L2 Cache, no EIST, & is very good solution for low cost Dual core computers. It runs at the lower 533 MHz FSB & comes in LGA 775 (Socket T)

In performance, it doesn't beat the Athlon64 3800+ X2 CPU, but this is also hard to find here in India, & costs more. Pentium D 805 is not the best performing CPU out there, & if u can afford a Pentium D 920 then that is indeed better, but not everyone needs performance all the time, it can easily do 70% of Athlon64 3800+ at a very low price

The biggest drawback with Pentium D 805 is the lack of EIST support, basically EIST lower the CPU clock speed when higher clock speed is not required, some available in Pentium D 9xx series & 6xx series. this results in lower temperature, as hardly anyone needs full CPU power all the time, for normal usage a Dual core CPU running at 800 MHz (EIST throttle speed) is enough, when encoding or Gaming the CPU throttles back to full clock speed, however since the 2.66 GHz is a lower clock & generates low heat compared to previous Pentium D 8xx models, this is not a feature to cry on, as long as U have good cooling.

There are many Motherboards it can be paired with, Intel motherboards have always been famous for rock solid stability, & no over clock, Intel's own Desktop Board D101GGC, which uses the older Radeon Xpress 200 chipset, is a good pair for this CPU, not only it's balanced for value usage, it also gives good enough onboard graphics, & ability to use a PCIe graphics card if required later. Or better yet buy a Intel 945GNT motherboard which lacks to D101GGC only in onboard graphics department, but if u r going to add a graphics card to it then 945GNT is indeed better

It seems that the over clocking capability is also good with good cooling of course, the Maximum temperature this CPU has is 64C, but it will hardly reach there, & if it does it will start to throttle itself down or shut down your PC, note that this throttling of clock speed is not EIST

AMD Athlon64 CPU are all the rage these days, but quite frankly if U r looking to buy a Athlon64 3200+, Sempron 3100+ or Celeron D, or similar CPU, U better give this CPU a serious consideration, this is far better then those, when multitasking. If u have enough money for an Athlon64 3500+ then forget this CPU & buy that instead

XBit News

Some user benchmarks (Over clocked). Seems like at Stock speed, the temperature is within good limits

cyrux

In the zone
Could somebody compare amd 3200+ with pentium d 805. Amd's single core processor is infact costlier than intel daul core

Apart from multi tasking is there any other area which intel dual procy leads?

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
The Pentium D 805 is dual core, runs on the Smithfield core, which is better then previous Prescott, runs cooler then comparable Prescott. It gives 2X1 MB L2 Cache, no EIST, & is very good solution for low cost Dual core computers. It runs at the lower 533 MHz FSB & comes in LGA 775 (Socket T)

these are not good one's at all .. the 533 MHz fsb coupled with just 2.66 GHz is mainly aimed at the low end customers .. the price is low .. so is the performance .. u can instead invest some more and get a 830/840 dual core .... that'll be hell lot better. .. and then get those bumped up from 2.8 to 3.4 .. then the real fun starts ....

janitha

Wise Old Owl
In this context, I would recommend you to visit the following site from Tomshardware.

*www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

Very interesting but not necessarily useful.

volmetius

Broken In
hI people!!!
My system configuration is like this:
2.66ghz intel478 pins package proc
845GL board
256 MB 266mhz DDR
Iam planning to upgarde this one please help me with your valuable suggestion with the existing proc!!
I will be using it for gaming & multimedia!!
Iam dying to play doom3 in it!!
OR
shuld I go for AMD soc 939 3000+ proc!!?!? do peovide me a good configuration for this ?? I will be able to shell out 26000/- !!! ( LIL TIGHT BUDGET ISN'T??)

janitha

Wise Old Owl
volmetius said:
hI people!!!
845GL board
256 MB 266mhz DDR
Iam planning to upgarde this one please help me with your valuable suggestion with the existing proc!!
OR
shuld I go for AMD soc 939 3000+ proc!!?!? do peovide me a good configuration for this ?? I will be able to shell out 26000/- !!! ( LIL TIGHT BUDGET ISN'T??)

How is this related to the subject of the thread?

cyrux

In the zone
volmetius said:
hI people!!!
845GL board
256 MB 266mhz DDR
OR

You can play doom 3 even now...........

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
btw ppl , I just found out that this processor has some serious power consumption issues, and it doesn't have anything like amd's cool 'n' quiet

janitha

Wise Old Owl
chesss said:
btw ppl , I just found out that this processor has some serious power consumption issues, and it doesn't have anything like amd's cool 'n' quiet
But even without Cool n Quiet, AMD stays cool because it consumes less power.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
anilthomas26 said:
i havent enabled the "cool n quiet" option for ma amd 64 bit 2800+..........

shud i......????...will do any gud if i do ????

It will regulate the Procc speed as per necessity. When idling it may be around 1000 Mhz and immediately reach highest speeds when processor intensive applications are opened. Similarly the fan speeds will be controlled, resulting also in reduced noise.

But I think if your temp and fan noise are very well under limits, you need not enable it. That is what I have done.

Same for overclockers. ie., disable it.

Last edited:

blackphantom

Right off the assembly line
cyrux said:
Could somebody compare amd 3200+ with pentium d 805. Amd's single core processor is infact costlier than intel daul core

Apart from multi tasking is there any other area which intel dual procy leads?

hey man i worked on both intel and amd processrs and alost all of them and i will say amd is much far batter in perforance mater except the heating problem.

Ch@0s

In the zone
The 805 is a decent cpu if all you do is office work or media encoding on a budget. For gaming, its pathetic however much you overclock. Also since its the 90nm Smithfield and not 65nm Presler, it'll heat up like crazy if you try to overclock. To get anywhere close to 4GHz in Indian weather, you need to go the watercooling way which basically defeats the purpose altogether as you can always get an X2 3800+ and a decent cooler for nearly the same money. In fact you can probably squeeze in an opteron 165 and a decent air cooler. Once overclocked, nothing currently available from intel can even touch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom