Change from 250 plan to 500 giving problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi_10_20

Cool and Calm
I got my BSNL plan changed from 250 to 500 monthly.

Now, whenever i download any stuff with good speeds(when there's a fast influx of a packet stream), the download abruptly stops. But, in case of just browsing, everything works fine. What might be the problem?

slugger

Banned
is it happening only when u downloading from 1 site or download from any site is giving u problem

if it is the first, then d fault is on their end not yours

'cause me too using BSNL's Home plan500 never faced this problem

also r u talikn abt torrent downloads or is it for downloads from servers

i once faced a similar problem with torrents, where it would show the list of seeders and peers and then suddenly it would stop - i just deleted d torrent (not the data) and re-added the torrent worked fine after that

OP
abhi_10_20

abhi_10_20

Cool and Calm
^^ its from all sites, not a single one.... it started happening with torrent downloads, i thought its only for torrents, but it even happens with the linux update manager... if there's a big file and good d/w speeds, it stops after some time... :( and the link keeps on showing a long on and off beep

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
There be other reason.. may be ur SNR / Attenuation is fluctuating very fast.. had problem with for long time.. that way lines became unusable for a while and the other moment its fine..

But if line is fine then its not your side.. there are other ways to verify !

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
yep, it is quite possible that you could have been connected to a 8Mbps DSLAM, and more data than what your line can take in is being pushed into it.

The result is "dead routing" ( I learnt this from Cyrus the virus:) ). Technically happens in such a situation is this: when your line is flooded with more data than it could handle, most of it is lost.The modem then asks that data to be resent. Again most of it is lost.So this becomes cumulative and your line stalls. Data may continue to trickle but at an abysmally low rate almost single digit bits per second -- worse than a worst dial-up connection.

I faced a similar situation months ago when BSNL wrongly disconnected and then reconnected me to a different DSLAM. I had a long-drawn battle with the totally incompetent BSNL guys.

Finally they acknowledged the fact and reconnected me to the Original DSLAM no. 4, slot no 7 and port no 17,which was capped to 2 Mbps and eversince everything is working fine.

My downsream speed is now 2048 Kbps. Earlier it was around 6300 Kbps and from my line attenuation figure I had guestimated ( and Cyrus too) that my line is capable of a max speed of only 4 Mbps.

Can you please post your line statistics from your modem? The relevant figures will be the downstream/upstream speeds,attenuation, and noise margin (SNR) and post it under the BSNL thread in Chit-chat where you can perhaps get more expert opinion.

Last edited:
OP
abhi_10_20

abhi_10_20

Cool and Calm
oops...i forgot there was a BSNL thread.......anyway, here too its showing 2043 kbps....

Bandwidth Up/Down(Kbit/sec)...... 251/2043
SNR Up/Down...... 30.3 dB/32.5 dB
Attenuation Up/Down....... 18.0 dB /48.5 dB

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
I got my BSNL plan changed from 250 to 500 monthly.

Now, whenever i download any stuff with good speeds(when there's a fast influx of a packet stream), the download abruptly stops. But, in case of just browsing, everything works fine. What might be the problem?

Apply for disconnection of BSNL and take any other ISP.:twisted:

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Your line is in pretty good stat..

Try pinging bsnl.co.in
via
ping bsnl.co.in -t

and see if it breaks.. meanwhile ping some other site too like thinkdigit.com
and see if its breaks and also what is response time.. if it fluctuate too or not .. if bsnl.co.in is steady but thinkdigit.com not then problem is from bsnl link to international broadband..

and .. I think these days I m typing so much confusing.. sorry for that !: P

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
yep, with the downstream line attenuation of 48db, you must be within 3.7 Kms from the exchange and your line is capable of speeds upto 6Mbps. ( these are guestimates )

Try ascertaining your line speed from the BSNL Broadband speed tester (www.dataone.in). Since data in this case comes directly from the local servers without going thro' any international gateway, this is a good indication of your line quality and the speed you get should more or less remain the same at all times.Just as an example, irrespective of the download speeds I get from the other international servers, the dataone Broadband speed tester consistently shows my line speed at around 1.7 Mbps at all times.That excludes any problem with the line.

I would again suggest you post your query under the BSNL thread in Chit chat for the good brains there to get cracking:) why at all you should have this problem when your line statistics is this good.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Now, whenever i download any stuff with good speeds(when there's a fast influx of a packet stream), the download abruptly stops.

1.> For how long does this happen?
2.> Are you able to restart the download to successfully complete the same?
3.> Do you have any other downloads working while you notice a problem on one? or do all downloads stall at the same time?
4.> Check with a download manager like 'IDM' to see if the program can automatically restart and continue your downloads
5.> Make sure your firewall(if you have one) is not resetting your downloads or applications involved in downloading process.

But, in case of just browsing, everything works fine.

This proves that if there is a fault within your computer, it's more of appplication related than the actual OS or hardware on your computer.

if there's a big file and good d/w speeds, it stops after some time... :( and the link keeps on showing a long on and off beep

What do you mean by this? do you mean to say the link light on your modem is flashing? Then the above questions become invalid and all relate to line issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom