CHallenge For LINUX guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akash Verenkar

Right off the assembly line
Hi! :D

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE BELOW

I was installing PCQlinux(redhat) on my pc(celeron1.7G,128MB ram,Asus P4 motherboard,no extra graphics card ie intergrated one).
1) While installing whenever i tried the graphical mode my compuiter used to stop responding, so i installed it through TEXT MODE
2) I had created a separate 5G drive(EXT format) , a 1Gswap drive using Magic partition.

READ CAREFULLY FROM HERE

3) After installation I rebooted my pc, but it didnt detect linux 'coz of Magic partions own boot loader. So i booted through WIN ME(After intallation of linux-note) and entered the necessary inf in the boot loader so that it detects the grab boot loader to detect LINUX.
4) ANd rebooted. this time it detected Linux(through GRAB) i booted through linux, but while loading exactly at the time when it switches to GRAPHICAL mode my PC hanged............
5) I waited for 5 mins and then reseted it directly. tried the same thing again but no changes.

6) Then i thought of formatting the linux partition and reinstalling so i tried to load win ME, but it gave some boot error that some files are missing.

7)I had win ME on c:(5G), Win XP on d:(5G) after that was the ext partition.Then i booted thjrough startup disk and found that "Win XP drive had bcom C: and so on, and no Win ME drive. :shock:

8) Then i rebooted and tried to use DM(disk Manager) but to my surprise it showed me 40 G of harddisk without partitions I was shocked. I tried FDISK it also showed the same thing. ie I SCREWED UP MY FILE ALLOCATION TABLES. But my data is still there on the disk. :cry:

9) Question is WHY THIS HAPPENED
AND IS THERE ANY WAY TO RECOVER MY DATA?

I have still kept that harddisk untouched waiting for a solution from someone :roll: :?:

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Attach the hdd on some other computer and scan for lost partitions or
files using some recovery software like Easy recovery.
Make sure you have ample free space on the other disk for storing the recovered files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom