Challenge For Computer Geeks

Would you like it

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

abhinavrakesh

Broken In
How To Add or Remove Commands from Context Menu of XP
or When you right click you see Arrange Icons By, Refresh, New etc. How Can You Add Command in Right Click Menu of Windows XP

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
I thought, u were the GEEK and askin a tricky querry and giving the answer as well, atleast u shud make a start here First......... :wink:

cheers n e-peace...

Ishan

In the zone
Abhinav's ques is intersesting so i thought u all sud seee it. so i posted this so that post can come at first.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Following is the answer:

Remove Unsolicited Junk From Your Context Menus

U can add items in context menu in the same manner as u remove them!

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
k am a bit confused here, did me ask that menu which pops up when u right click item or right away on desktop. I never found a way to add sumthn to rhat menu where refresh, new, properties arrange icon by...resides :?

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
Vishal Gupta said:
The above trick works, when u right-click on a file/folder/drive, etc. It doesnt work with the desktop...

Yups, was thinking about desktop. If the dood asked about right clicking on file or folder, its lame :p

OP
abhinavrakesh

abhinavrakesh

Broken In
Ok I Try To Explain

When You Right Click On A File or Folder it shows you some commands like delete etc, now when you delete the file it goes to Recycle bin and if you want to delete the file without sending it to the recycle bin then you press shift then delete it, now my question is if we can add a entry below the delete command like Shred (Shift + Delete) then we dont have to press shift button on our keyboard the file will directly deleted from computer without recycle bin

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
For one thing .. you can enable "Shift + Delete" at all times

1- Click Start menu > Run > and type “gpedit.msc� (without quotes ) to run Group Policy
2- Go to following : User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer
3- In right panel, find “Do not move deleted files to the Recycle Bin�, right click and select Properties, in dialog box select Enable check box

This will completely delete files at all times.

If you still want both Delete and Shift+Delete options in right click menu then save the following in a text file and name it as "<anything>.reg"

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\Erase File]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\Erase File\command]
@="cmd.exe /c \"del \"%1\"\""

Double click on .reg file and merge.
It wont have the "Erase" command just above "delete" .. but it works .. it opens a command window to execute the "del" command and then the window closes.

-----
alibi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom