CDMA or GSM which 1 better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
It's not the question which is better, both the technologies are better in one way or other.

In case you want to choose some network provider, then which one's plan and service suits you and you can choose it :D

mohit

The Hardware Labs
this shud have been in the QnA section.. anyways i prefer gsm anyday as cdma handsets suk big time ... the tariff offered by reliance info is very attractive though and good if u have a girl frnd man .. they let u talk unlimited to any reliance fone in india :D ... i am having a reliance connection and using nokia 6585 (just using cdma as i have a gf )... and another big disadvantage of cdma is the damn low battery backup u get no matter which handset u use... :evil

drgrudge

mohit said:
anyways i prefer gsm anyday as cdma handsets suk big time ...
Do you know Nokia got CDMA variant of some good GSM phones...
etc etc..

mohit said:
and another big disadvantage of cdma is the damn low battery backup u get no matter which handset u use
Who said, have u used any CDMA handsets, it's as good as any GSM ones..

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
CDMA and low battery... eh? CDMA phones are more battery efficient... it's a fact!

Just that the crap N191 or the LG handset don't give decent battery life duzn't mean that all CDMA handsets have this problem :|

sam8240 said:
CDMA or GSM which 1 better?

CDMA has the inherent advantage that you'll never get a "Network Busy" signal. This is due technological differences that make more efficient use of available bandwidth.

Anyway, regarding implementation in India, I think CDMA service providers suck big time. This is what I've heard. Not my opinion as I've never used CDMA.

-Keith

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@drgrudge
read my post properly .. i have clearly written that i am using a cdma connection... and regarding handsets i have tried three diff handsets with reliance namely samsung slim , nokia 6585 and nokia 3105 ... all these gave me a pathetic talk time.. and the reason i got from the cust care people is that they use EVRC (Enhanced Voice Rate Codec) which provides superior voice clarity but drains the battery quickly. do u need anymore clarifications ? and regarding cdma handsets being as good as gsm ones .. i am yet to see a good high end fone such as 6600,7610,6230 etc with its cdma variant atleast in india.

drgrudge

mohit said:
read my post properly .. i have clearly written that i am using a cdma connection... and regarding handsets i have tried three diff handsets with reliance namely samsung slim , nokia 6585 and nokia 3105 ... all these gave me a pathetic talk time.. and the reason i got from the cust care people is that they use EVRC (Enhanced Voice Rate Codec) which provides superior voice clarity but drains the battery quickly.
Yes, but tht voice clarity is only with reliance naa? i have used this 2280 and had no problems with the battery, it's gives good standby/talktimes.

mohit said:
do u need anymore clarifications ? and regarding cdma handsets being as good as gsm ones ..
Consider 3200 and 3205.. both are same in features, wht else do you need? so CDMA phones are as good as GSM ones ,atleast nokia phones are to taken into account.

mohit said:
i am yet to see a good high end fone such as 6600,7610,6230 etc with its cdma variant atleast in india.
Why ? Because CDMA phones need to get as popular as GSM phones. We dint have these 3105 or 3205 or 6225 before only that they are popular nokia got it in.

iinfi

mekalodu
CDMA wud have become a huge success in india if anyother company other than reliance were the service provider with such a huge pan-india network .....

Biplav

In the zone
well i would go for gsm.
@drgrudge i think there is some problem with cdma batteries,
else there is some problem with samsung and lg cdma phones.

coz i haved used samsung slim and lg 3 models already and my friend uses the moonlight model and we all have a single BIG problem- Battery!!!!
i had to recharge my cell everyday from the very first day after just 20-30 mins of talk.
and the same samsung slim in the Gsm segment
does last upto 2-3days !!!!
this is strange or else there is some probs with the cdma.
another factor with cdma- u are stck with the same service provider!!!
if u want to change u got to get a new cell.(now thats a real big advantage for the GSM users if u get dissatisfied with ur service provider.)

and yes there are not too many users and providers in India in the cdma segment as compared to the Many prevailing companies well trusted with thier service in the GSm sector.
so for now i think going for Gsm would be a more viable option.and

yes another point is as cdma is not all that wide spread as its counterpart, the network wont be available at all places.

the network is still not available at all places even for Gsm sets but they do cover atleast much wider coverage than cdma.

drgrudge

biplav said:
else there is some problem with samsung and lg cdma phones.coz i haved used samsung slim and lg 3 models already and my friend uses the moonlight model and we all have a single BIG problem- Battery!!!! i had to recharge my cell everyday from the very first day after just 20-30 mins of talk.
and the same samsung slim in the Gsm segment
does last upto 2-3days !!!!
Hmm.. read my post properly.. i said it's hold good for nokia phones... even GSM range of SE phones dont have a good battery as Nokia does.
But i have used that LG cr@p reliance phone, i used to charge once a day for 25 min and it was ok for the rest of the day :roll:

biplav said:
another factor with cdma- u are stck with the same service provider!!!if u want to change u got to get a new cell.(now thats a real big advantage for the GSM users if u get dissatisfied with ur service provider.)
Yes, this is true :| we get sticked to the same cell and service provider.

But remember that even AIRTEL gives offers for Cell (that free talktimes, SMS ) for Nokia phones..., in that case i think we will have to have the cell for one year or till they give away the "freebies" (which we actually pay).

and yes there are not too many users and providers in India in the cdma segment as compared to the Many prevailing companies well trusted with thier service in the GSm sector.
so for now i think going for Gsm would be a more viable option.and

biplav said:
yes another point is as cdma is not all that wide spread as its counterpart, the network wont be available at all places.

the network is still not available at all places even for Gsm sets but they do cover atleast much wider coverage than cdma.
Reliance covers more towns and villages than HUTCH/AIRTEL covers.
TATA is gonna invest 1.2 crore for network expansion in Tamil nadu alone.
It's not true that CDMA *always* has less coverage than GSM has.

supernova

Mr. S Nova
the biggest turn down while going for a CDMA is that u are stuck with a provider and u need a new set if u want to change the network provider.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
My friend works in Qualcomm US. I had a discussion with him w.r.t the same above. CDMA or GSM ? He said technology wise CDMA is better. And also it is the way of the future. 90% of all handsets in the US runs on CDMA. He also says GSM will be phased out in the 3-5 years time.

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
CDMA has a HUGE network problem... i am sick of the msg "to resume service please contact reliance costomer care" every time i pick up the phone. and most of the time the CDMA phones r out of reach!!

apart from this.. the GSM network esp hutch and airtel, i've never seen such problem! even if u r in a basement.. they'll work perfectly..

it's not the problem with the technology, the technology is perfect. the problem is with the service providers! these ppl r using substandard hardware for the sake of cost cutting!!!
while the most of the consumers willing to pay more if the quality of network is good!!

i am using HUTCH connection, it's a bit costly but i know if some1 wanna contact me i'll always be in touch! i can talk nicely even i have only 1/7 of the network(in the cellphone indicator).

ADVICE: Dear Ambani Bros!! please stop breaking what your father spent his life building, and focus on your Quality more than Quantity

Peace

sagsall4u

Journeyman
the best thing bout gsm mobiles ar that you can sell in and change providers at anytime effortlessly . in cdma if youre using the providers phone you have to go thr many formalities

premrajeev

Journeyman
CDMA technologies are far better than GSM. any doubts, check on web.GSM is in the verge of serious facelifts around the world. I have been a BPL/Orange subscriber for 4 years in mumbai, with roaming enabled, GPRS, bla blah.And i was reasonabily satisfied with GSM service, until one fine day i opt for a Reliance phone. Initially their service sucked big time,so i kept the other 2 GSM's, and this Reliance. Now, I have 3 reliance phones, 0 GSm's . I agree,that the battery life on many CDMA's cannot be matched with tht of GSM'sjsut bcoz of one thing...The batteries sucks big time.but the newer models comes with good batteries..Still, power consumption in CDMA is a little bit higher than that of GSM, bcoz of ttechnical reasons.. And as far as voice clarity and sucess of connections are concrned, CDMA is the King. i have experienced less than 0.5 % call failure rates and that too bcoz of poor coverage. I have never experience any problem in service where there is a reasonable coverage.(In case o f reliance,we can talk sucessfully when there is only one "danda"in our signal strength meter, which is absolutely not possible in GSM without breaks.

I prefer CDMA technology and Reliance as their rates are tooo good.

now, compare net access through GPRS and CDMA. gprs = 15 kbps max.
Reliance = 120kbps (these are the figures i used to get whn i connect thru my laptop)

YES, all the handsets are not so good when compared w/ GSM ones. I hope this will be solved very soon.
We can manage to get one H/s from u.s .Many good models are available there , as many CDMA operators there.

we can get it programmed it by reliance/tata/other servic eproviders to suit their network.

CDMA = 90 Marks
GSM = 70 Marks.

Biplav

In the zone
@drgrudge-
true reliance covers loads of villages,
but consider this while u r on a way from one place to another ,the cdma network would be the first to go absconding!!
yes i dont know whether u ll agree or not but the network within the town limits are good , not on the run between places.
and yes
i am not denying that it has much superior technology,
but till date: it would be abvisable to go for gsm sets as the cdma technology is still in the developing phase here in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom