CD Rom Malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmads

Journeyman
I have both CD Rom and CD RW drives on my comp and both are about 5 yrs old so they malfunction sometimes. That is they will not read sometimes and give out a message Drive does not exist or the CD RW will not write etc etc.. Now, is there a fix for these problems like a lens cleaner etc ??? Will highly appreciate inputs..

Thanks

vicky_l7

free as a bird
you can use lens cleaner or get it service by someone but update its firmware
and if it is possible just get a new drive it doesnt cost much.

Yavin

Yalam
Hey Buddy read this quote frm
*club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=197442

"Remove the bottom cover, 4 small screws, carefully lifted the complete mechanism up out of the case after removing the front Bezel. With the tray pulled most of the way out, I cleaned the lens*club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=197442# with a Q-Tip and alchohol. While it was apart, I put a little WD40 on a Q-Tip and applied a little to the rails that the laser slides on. Re-assembled and put back in the machine. Problems solved!!! It will now read and write anything I throw at it. Did the same thing with the DVD Rom drive and it performs properly now also. Both items had terrible problems and I was ready to buy new and trash these drives. It took about 20 minutes per drive and now they are running very good. The CD/RW was barely operable before doing the cleaning. Just thought this may be of value to those who are not faint of heart about investigating problem hardware."
I posted this since I also do in a similar way. You can also try your luck.

OP
H

harmads

Journeyman
Vicky & Yavin great inputs from you !! Thanks a lot.. I will do whats mentioned by you Yavin...By the way Yavin can you elaborate on :

1. Q Tip . Can a cotton bud be used ?
2. WD40 oil.. any Indian alternative ??

Thanks

sashijoseph

In the zone
Hey just use a drop of clean water on a piece of clean banyan cloth and use it to gently rub over the lens in one direction.Don't apply too much pressure.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
5 years if you ask me is a lot of time.The CD writer's lens must have taken a lot of abuses during this time.It is bound to cough up with errors.The best you could do to barely pull it off a bit more is to try the things that everyone above suggested but believe me it won't help too much.Alternatively you could replace the lens which would cost you more.

The best thing would be to buy a new DVD-Writer as most of them have gone too dam cheap these days.

slugger

Banned
harmads said:
1. Q Tip . Can a cotton bud be used ?
2. WD40 oil.. any Indian alternative ??
Cotton buds r d way 2 go

use petroleum jelly 4 lubricating d rails..... IC-CHIP had given a detailed D-I-Y article 2 do just dis

and 4 lens use alcohol-based soln. if u old enuf 2 use aftershave use it;)

and 2 dat banyan-walla!!!

hey ding-dong
exposing hw 2 moisture, d next Nobel Prize goes 2 Mr. Banyaanwalla here

Party dena mat bhoolna!!

sashijoseph

In the zone
and 2 dat banyan-walla!!!

hey ding-dong
exposing hw 2 moisture, d next Nobel Prize goes 2 Mr. Banyaanwalla here

Party dena mat bhoolna!!
Ha ha ha.....
Abe daru-walla wake up,come to your senses,wash your face with..yes water and then read this : *cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_repair.shtml#Cleaning a CD-Writer
" exposing hw 2 moisture" ...... ya,wash the lens with a bucketful of water is what I recommended na.
And the Nobel is your's brighto for your pioneering, pathbreaking, better-than-elliptic-curve breakthrough in cipher systems with your Chuck-Mandrel encryption.
Anyways,I've always cleaned lenses this way(drop of clean water on a piece of ... ok soft cloth) and never had any problems.And I've done this for a lot of friends with a very high success rate.

slugger

Banned
who do u wan2 trust

d Vogel Group or sum no-namer who uses his/her/its site 2 peddle this
*img180.imageshack.us/img180/7868/cdori1ve3.gif*img259.imageshack.us/img259/1311/cdori2jf4.gif*img441.imageshack.us/img441/8799/cdori3hm0.gif*img524.imageshack.us/img524/7150/cdori4rx9.gif

credibiltiy of info d00d

ne way dis is d last u r goin 2 hear from me on this issue [dat is, d issue of who is right or who is wrong, in case u ver ill-equipped 2 comprehend d statement]

go ahead have d last word on this Post sum utterly mind-numbingly, nonsensical, humiliating taunt

i wont say a word. no amount of acidic statements wud goad me in2 replying

D LAST WORD IS URS D00D, POST A REPLY. BASK IN D GLORY OF UR CONQUEST OF HAVING HAD D LAST WORD ON DIS ISSUE
SATISFY UR PRIMAL URGES. DONT LET GO OF DIS CHANCE 'CAUSE ITS NEVER GONNA COME BACK 2 U

as 4 u havin dun it numer of times b4 i'd say
jump d signal everyday d00d. 1 day ur perseverence will b rewared wit intrest

P.S: ur stunted comprehension skills causes me immense grief and pain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom