CD-ROM is not shown in boot device list??

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
My frd was going to format his WIndows ... but after setting the first boot device as ATAPI CD-ROM .. the cd never booted from the ROM itself .. cd is working fine .. but his ROM option is not shown in boot device list ..

Wat can it be :? ?

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
if there is no cdrom option in the bios itself , u might have to upgrade ur bios to latest one . I accidently flashed mine without properly checking the version and lost cdrom boot option in old pc .

if u do get the cdrom option and are unable to boot from the cd , try another cd on ur drive , clean the drive , try another cdrom drive on ur pc or try ur cdrom in another pc

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
ok a pre-step to the above . have u tried clearing the bios ? check ur m/b manual for instructions on how to do it on ur m/b or just remove the cmos battery for a few seconds and replace it .

regarding ur new query . bios can get corrupted u know ;)

OP
Y

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
Oh! klinux c'mon mate .. wat can this be ..a BIOS infected with virus with just setting the first boot device as CD-ROM :lol:..... yup! ur other solution i'll try surely! :D

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
virus writers can be crazy people and try to screw with u with the oddest of situations . think what would have happened if u had a virus that disabled booting from hard drive lol . maybe he was aiming for that and missed it by a drive . btw . try connecting ur hdd and cdrom to the same ide connector ie , either primary or either secondary and see if it makes a difference . if ur ide controller is screwed , might cause problems too

OP
Y

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
klinux U R making this problem even bigger with ur words ... arey the option was there once but after setting it to it .. it was gone ..
Am i enough clear now ? :?

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
was kidding abt the virus thing , if u hadnt noticed ;) . am actually waiting for u to try out the first steps above and give a reply . if that doesnt work , try the option with diff ide controllers . Understood ???

blacklight

Journeyman
try clearing the bios by removing the battery as klinux had suggested. I guess that shld do it .

and klinux,out of curiosity ,how does bios get corrupted??

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
blacklight said:
how does bios get corrupted??

Take your pick - ESD, power surges, incorrect flashing procedures and many more that I can't really think of right now. :D But those are pretty much the main reasons for a BIOS corruption, especially the last.

yehmeriidhain said:
Oh! c'mon Y update Bios it was there earlier in a second Bios expired or wat ..

yup its not shown in Boot Device list!!

Ok, so its not in the Boot Device list. But tell me something, is it showing under the Devices list in the BIOS along with the hard disk? Because its very unusual (not to mention, unheard of) for a BIOS to show the option as a regular device in the device list, but not in the Boot Device selection. Did you try soft-resetting the BIOS and auto-detecting the drives?

swatkat

Technomancer
check that CDROM is correctly connected (both Power and Data cable), and after this check that CD ROM is in Primary channel (and as Slave) , because some older BIOSes do not detect devices in Secondary channel as a Bootable Device, and after this if u do not get the option, in BIOS select the option "Load best performance setiings" or "Load Optimal settings" and check afterwards.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom