cassette player or CD player for car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nix

well i am getting a car stereo for my maruti 800 tomorrow. i just went to JC road in bangalore to get an idea of the price. i saw good systems for my budget of around 6000. my question is, should i go in for casette player or CD/MP3 player? does CD/MP3 player result in skips when i go over bumps or potholes? is an M800 worth it for an MP3 player? my car doesnt exactly have the best set of shocks.. but they're pretty ok tho...getting the latest songs on cassette wont be a problem for me as i have a deck and i can transfer songs from cd to cassette. we also have a large collection of empty audio cassettes.

next question, will be attrative to thieves? i dont have the money to invset in remote locking and all...the front windows dont have dark glasses either..the rear ones do. i will be fitting it in the dashboard and not in a console.

how do i know that the sony speakers i get are genuine? is there a method to find out?

prasad_den

Padawan
I can answer only the first question... an emphatic NO to cassette players.. I don't find any skipping when the car rides on potholes.. And MP3 discs are in many ways advantageous over conventional cassettes.. You are future proof too.. so you can use the same player when you get a better car..

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
mp3 player will be more convinient & stress free to use, as you can select the songs you want to listen & it can accomodate 100+ more songs .

the players available now are more resistant to shocks, so no need to worry about skips.

even a cassette player is worth for thieves.:))

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
No problem at all with MP3 players. Also we have loads of radio stations here in bangalore.

OP
nix

nix

well, the 800 kinda vibrates also. i'd say its not a refined vehicle :p
so i was thinking if the cd player could take all that and still work fine. what do you guys recommend. sony player or pioneer player?

slugger

Banned
if u buy it from here u will have no fear

nix said:
should i go in for casette player
wat r dey????:confused::confused:

as 4 a player, buy 1 wit a USB inteface, much more future proof dan CDs [pepul, heard of BluRay and HD-DVds], also it wud fit in ur budget [wild guess here]

if u still insist on dat arcane device u mentioned u cud also buy an mp3 plyer wit a cassette interface [on 2nd thot it isnt dat bad an ida since d cost of rig wud extbe low and u can get dat player 4 a lot less dan d original idaz]

if u still want 2 check geniueness u must note down

model numba
serial numba
warranty card numba
and give them a buzz

and rap urself on ur head 4 callin Bengaluru as Banagalore:D:D

Last edited:

lone_wolf

Right off the assembly line
Sorry to bump in but I have a question similar to the subject of this thread. I am also planning to get a car audio system but one that is double din (looks matters ;)). Anyone came across a decent head unit and speakers? My budget is under 15K.

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
my friend has a JVC DVD player in his city, and i got mad when he opened that dvd cover... it was written "entire rock collection" 8.5gb(dual layer)!!
that's 8500mb, taking 4 mb/song...
that's 2125 songs.. taking 4 mins per song..
that's approx 6 days of nonstop music!!!!!! hell!!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
club_pranay said:
my friend has a JVC DVD player in his city, and i got mad when he opened that dvd cover... it was written "entire rock collection" 8.5gb(dual layer)!!
that's 8500mb, taking 4 mb/song...
that's 2125 songs.. taking 4 mins per song..
that's approx 6 days of nonstop music!!!!!! hell!!

Commercial product? where is it available ? :D or did he burn it ? :|

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
arre he has got those dvd-r/dl, that's 8.5gb! he burned the dvd frm pc. sorted everything in multilevel subfolders. i wished it had the playlist too.

i also heard abt this player frm pioneer, with internal storage, multi card reader, usb, bluetooth, sat-radio n dvd disc!

OP
nix

nix

ive had this pioneer CD player for about 4 months...no problem at all..no skips even when i m going thru the roughest patch of road. its amazing actually how they manage to play that smooth...w/o a single skip.. im very happy w/ it... nothing beats the exp of listening to a matt darey mix on a quiet night drive...

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
kalpik said:
Just my 2 cents.. Dont go for Sony.. They make crappy car stereos.
Very true!
the sound quality is better than pioneer, but lens and other mechanical parts malfunction all the time. i have pioneer 4850 in dad's car n sony cdx3300 in mine. overall the sony laggs behind the pioneer. but still no need to change.

my suggestion, go for pioneer.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
club_pranay said:
Very true!
the sound quality is better than pioneer, but lens and other mechanical parts malfunction all the time. i have pioneer 4850 in dad's car n sony cdx3300 in mine. overall the sony laggs behind the pioneer. but still no need to change.

my suggestion, go for pioneer.
Well SQ is very subjective term! I find the SQ of pioneer much better than sony.. I find sony's SQ very "tinny" :p

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
well atleast the term "sound quality" is better understandable than "tinny" LoL
ok, let me be more specific..

as compared to Sony, the distortion and noise levels in pioneer at peak volumes is quite high, esp with frequencies lower than 100Hz and higher than 10Khz and volumes over 80bd. this becomes quite evident when the player is rigged with a wide frequency range speaker set(which must include a seperate low range, mid range and hi range)

this observation was suggested by ELEGANT car decorators in Lajpat Nagar, and was tried and tested by CARPLUS, East Delhi.

Sony systems has better compatiablity with other brands but the product finish in case of SONY has gone down, their new variants look straight from startrek. with "plastic" looking front panel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

apart from it, it's a total personal feel. frankly, even i would be confused to make the decision if i had to shell out the money.

whatever you decide, make sure it has a genuine warranty. a lens replacement may cost 5k.

recomended reading: *www.faqs.org/faqs/car-audio/part1/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom