Career Guidance Needed :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi Friends,
I am B.Tech. IT 2007 passout from Kurukshetra university.
I am unemployed till now. :-(
Now , I once got offer from a small company in delhi with salary 8000 for first 6 months and then 15000. But that time I was in 7th semester and company wanted me to join immediately. So cudnt join. Now I m thinking to call them up and try if they can still take me but before that I want to confirm whether the job profile is good and has good future like that of a software engineer. As per the company mail , my Job Description
  • Achieve and Maintain Search Engine Rankings for various client and in-house website’s
  • Handle On Page and Off Page Optimization.
  • Formulate Search Engine Marketing Plans.
  • Generate and monitor traffic and ranking reports.
  • Communicate with relevant partners regarding the acquisition of paid text and banner links.
  • Responsible for generating and maintaining qualified traffic to a website.
  • Ensure high visitor to conversion ratio.
Is this field really good to make a career ?

Also , I got a call for interview( cleared first round) of another even smaller company ( initial pay 5000 per month) with job position "Link exchange executive in their SEO Deptt.). Again same question, Is this field really good to make a career ?
I know if field is right salary always keeps on increasing provided hard work.
Should i go for the interview and then the job ???

Please help me guys. I really need some genuine advice. Please....:(

Note:I already have offer letters of many BPOs like Dell, wipro, Vcustomer, etc. but dont want to work in BPO :-(

cybersunil

Right off the assembly line
Not sure to what extent this can help, but here is my 2 cent of advice,

You ask is that Profile really good and has future prospect?? I ask.. Is that what you want to do in ur near future??

And if you still want to know about the Job Description.. seems to me like it's a job related to SEO Marketing. The field is good but not sure as to what the future prospects are in that field. Maybe some one who knows better of that field can answer this better.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I think you should join a "development" related post at least for 1-2 years. This is not what people would like to do after doing B.Tech. Just my personal opinion :)

faraaz

Evil Genius
@thread poster: Dude...SEO may or may not be a good field...but its certainly not something to make a career out of...its a dead end, kinda like a call centre job. IMO if you have done a B. Tech you have a lot of opportunities.

Furthermore, I think its more important for you to identify gaps in your CV and profile rather than go door to door in desperate search for a job. Certainly, this will help you to determine what your weaknesses are that are preventing you from getting a good job, and try to compensate accordingly.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
I think you should join a "development" related post at least for 1-2 years. This is not what people would like to do after doing B.Tech. Just my personal opinion :)
In most big companies,
You dont get to choose where you work, when you are a fresher,
you could be put in any domain and any field of work like maintenence.
Ask n all they say is "Buisiness Requirements".
Believe me , been there.

Regards,
ray

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
In most big companies,
Believe me , been there.

Regards,
ray

TRUE....

In big companies...u dont choose ur feild ...ur work.....

AS u gain experience...u come to know ur liking and also where u wanna work....but as a fresher...be ready to wrk anywhere.....and any work....as experience gained is more imp........most of the company offered profile..dont usually tunr out to be...as described....actuall job is totally different.....

FIRST DECIDE...
if u wanna go to DEVELOPMENT, ADMIN, TESTING side.... and when ur sure...in that feild further branches are there...and then only select ur job profile.....

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
In most big companies,
Believe me , been there.

Regards,
ray
I guess im kinda lucky then :)

faraaz

Evil Genius
Hmm...my friends who are doing engineering in RV College, Bangalore and VTU, Bangalore have had different experiences...2 of them are in TCS, 1 in GMX (I think its called...don't remember the name proply), 1 in Citrix and 2-3 more in IBM, Microsoft and GE...they got in through campus recruitment, so I dunno how applicable that is, but in their cases the job descriptions were clearly defined before hand. AND they got to choose what kind of work they want to do.

Maybe its cuz these companies are big or something...but still, just because one has a certain experience, doesnt mean everyone does! :cool:

mediator

Technomancer
Hi Friends,
I am B.Tech. IT 2007 passout from Kurukshetra university.
I am unemployed till now. :-(
Now , I once got offer from a small company in delhi with salary 8000 for first 6 months and then 15000. But that time I was in 7th semester and company wanted me to join immediately. So cudnt join. Now I m thinking to call them up and try if they can still take me but before that I want to confirm whether the job profile is good and has good future like that of a software engineer. As per the company mail , my Job Description
  • Achieve and Maintain Search Engine Rankings for various client and in-house website’s
  • Handle On Page and Off Page Optimization.
  • Formulate Search Engine Marketing Plans.
  • Generate and monitor traffic and ranking reports.
  • Communicate with relevant partners regarding the acquisition of paid text and banner links.
  • Responsible for generating and maintaining qualified traffic to a website.
  • Ensure high visitor to conversion ratio.
Is this field really good to make a career ?

Also , I got a call for interview( cleared first round) of another even smaller company ( initial pay 5000 per month) with job position "Link exchange executive in their SEO Deptt.). Again same question, Is this field really good to make a career ?
I know if field is right salary always keeps on increasing provided hard work.
Should i go for the interview and then the job ???

Please help me guys. I really need some genuine advice. Please....:(

Note:I already have offer letters of many BPOs like Dell, wipro, Vcustomer, etc. but dont want to work in BPO :-(

I dunno how good this search engine job is. Did they tell u if any language is to be used? Also, I dunno bt ur areas of interests, fields u r good at.

But neways, u can definitely get a linux job if u r familiar with linux as I have seen here. U dont really need RHCE for that. But having RHCE is an added advantage and knowledge of shell scripts add much more weight.

Then u can opt for MBA. Joining BPOs/KPOs isn't bad choice then. U get a good command over English and u literally/automatically get prepared for GDs/interviews etc. Besides, u get plenty of time for self-study.

Also, I wud suggest to grab anything u r getting now. Something is better than nuthing. Then there r PHP jobs that u can get easily. But they aren't so well paid either.

Try NOIDA, u can get a job easily there. Don't get frustrated that ur friends got in some big shot companies. In reality, they r giving their final round there. Around 30-40% of intake is kicked out after 6 months AFAIK from several experiences from friends and ppl around and their exams/tests/timings are worse than NAZI concentration camps.

Don't worry man, call up the kompanies, get ur interview fixed, do last minute preparation like a true engineer and as confidently as u can. I'm sure u'll get thru! *www.smileyhut.com/eat_drink/cheers1.gif

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Thanx for all the replies guys.
One more bad news for me , yesterday I got result from Infy that although you were selected in interview but got rejected due to damned 9 months gap rule of Infy. :-(

Anyways , now I am also thinking about many things like SAP , Linux Certification, Java . I am really confused.

shashank_re

In the zone
Hmm...my friends who are doing engineering in RV College, Bangalore and VTU, Bangalore have had different experiences...2 of them are in TCS, 1 in GMX (I think its called...don't remember the name proply), 1 in Citrix and 2-3 more in IBM, Microsoft and GE...they got in through campus recruitment, so I dunno how applicable that is, but in their cases the job descriptions were clearly defined before hand. AND they got to choose what kind of work they want to do.

Maybe its cuz these companies are big or something...but still, just because one has a certain experience, doesnt mean everyone does! :cool:

Dude R.V is an Excellent Engineering college way better than those NITs! And to get into it,a General Merit student needs to get ~50 in CET:shock::shock::shock: This may be the reason why they had the option to choose their work.
BTW how did they get into it?Through CET or Management? Coz i will be appearing for CET 2008 and iam very much worried about it:(

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
^^Hi,
I never got many chances dude. I got two backlogs in Degree. One in 3rd semester which cleared in 7th sem and other in 7th sem , which cleared along with 8th sem exams. So couldnt participate in many Mega campus . I appeared in only three compaies: satyam( where one backlog was allowed) where couldnt clear written as my apti is not really very good. Next TCS again same problem( though couldnt understand why because the student who cheated every single answer from me got his written cleared and I didnt.) Next recently infy .As infy is coming everywhere these days , i couldnt clear written first time but cleared second time and also interview but rejected due to 9 months rule.

And in my college , only BPOs came and I was selected in all of them.

Thats my story. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom