Cant view webpage thumbnail in Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hello All,

I have a strange problem. I cannot see thumbnail preview of webpages in windows explorer(Windows XP Pro.(i have reinstalled XP many times).I can preview PDF and image files only. It works perfectly in windows 2000. I cannot figure out how to do it. I have seen the thumbnails in many of my friend's pcs even after fresh clean install(XP). I wonder what could be the problem? is there any kind of settings.I know that there will be a registery tweak, but which one? :(

Charan

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Ahh a reply at last.

yea i can only see the IE icon, dono about 3rd party software. but isnt the thumbnail preview a feature of xp ??????

sakumar79

Technomancer
According to *www.infopackets.com/channels/en/wi...213_windows_thumbnails_wont_appear_part_2.htm

MS turned off a few features in the Thumbnail View for stability & performance reasons, starting with XP Service Pack 1 release. They took away the functionality to view HTML files in thumbnail view as well as most Web content files. The following file types have been disabled from thumbnail view: HTML documents (.htm & .html files), XML documents (.xml files), Internet e-mail messages (.eml files), & Internet news messages (.nws files).

There is a note on another website which suggests that by replacing the new Thumbvw.dll with older Thumbvw.dll, you can get back the functionality, and I guess you can extract the older file using sfc and the original WinXP CD, but I advise creating a system restore point before trying this...

In another discussion, the following code is copied to a new file that is to be named html.reg (or anything else, with a .reg extension). Then, this is to be merged with registry and restarted...

--- Start on next line ---

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]

@="{EAB841A0-9550-11cf-8C16-00805F1408F3} "

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]

@="{EAB841A0-9550-11cf-8C16-00805F1408F3} "

--- End on previous line ---

Arun

OP
RCuber