Can't update norton AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaurav

In the zone
I can't update my NAV 2002 for the last 15 days. Earlier it used to update just fine. My subsciption service is expiring in december 2005. The liveupdate program shows the available updates and norton installs them too but they are not reflected in the software it displays the old date of virus definitions. help

OP
Gaurav

Gaurav

In the zone
Uninstall and reinstall, it takes a lot of time any other alternate :( . Using NAV 2002 on win98SE

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
Please stick with the topic at hand and suggest solutions to his problems rather than suggesting different software all together
-Edited Nemesis

Charley

Just Do It
grinning_devil said:
get rid of norton nd all...either u upgrade it to 2003/2004/2005 or else use freeware as effective alternatives like antivir,KAV (shareware)

Also Avast and AVG - Freeware.....

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
You should first try a reinstall Or install new version(recommended).

if not then,..
...one & only solution that you have is
download the definitions
Using the Intelligent Updater instead of LiveUpdate
*securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html

this is the direct link.
*definitions.symantec.com/defs/20050612-016-i32.exe

enjoy :wink: :!:

Biplav

In the zone
download thro intelligent updater as alrredy said, this has got 2 benifits for u:
1. u get to istall the latest anti virus(Intelligent updater is updated daily while live update is done Weekly)
2. u can use them when u uninstall (or something goes wrong with ur computer and reinstall windows)

so choose that way (i do the same here)
the problems with it is:
1. if u already have an updated defination then also u will download the same files for mere few newer definations.

Solution::

install from Intelligent updater once, and subsequently use live update.
as far as the problem is concerned this shoud be good enough ,
but if u are stuck with live update then i think u install live update again else uninstall/install norton.
and yes people are providing alternatives because the option u r using isnt the best available .
and furthermore- not necessarily will this solve ur problem.
anyways try these and post wat u get.
regards

OP
Gaurav

Gaurav

In the zone
Ya u'r right, i have been downloading virus definitions since then. It's Liveupdate is not functioning at all now it shows that all of NAV products are uptodate whereas norton shows the virus definition files are 7 days old. Arrrrr don't know what the problem is. I'll try uninstall and reinstall of liveupdate and then post what happened.

Hey thanks dude.

A

Ashwin Saxena

I think the place isn't right. You should past this in QnA Section.

Charley

Just Do It
Ashwin Saxena said:
I think the place isn't right. You should past this in QnA Section.

Welcome to the forum..... I cant seem to understand what ur saying[PAST] ... :?

This thread can be posted here as it relates to the software NAV. :)

vinaypatel

Journeyman
if u have original version then there is subscription no.

use it to renew your subscription it will hardly take 7

minutes and then it will automatically update the av.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys i am jus posting my querry in order to avoid starting another thread on the same topic.

Well i hv Norton Antivirus 2003 with the Norton Firewall 2003 installed with it.Now as i am using a pirated copy of the Antivirus, i always get the messege to update my Subscription in 15 days failing wich the s/w will stop working. Now i jus wanna know wat r the other solutions to this !! i mean are there any other antivirus s/w available wich r (FREE!!!) :wink: on the net !! i hv gone thru the sites of AVG and aVAST! now AVG also has an antivirus offer (trial) wich will i think also last for a mere 15 days or so !! now i want a permanent solution to get an Antivirus as well as a firewall similar to the strengths of Norton(as i am really satisfied by its performance and security) so shud i go in for AVG or aVAST or any other recommendations from ur side would be really helpful !!! (avast doesnt provide me with a firewall :( )

I am also using Ad-Aware SE edition 1.06 to prevent my PC from ad/spyware with the latest definitions installed.And my Norton antivirus has only 3 DAYS ! :? after wich i run out of security options to secure my PC from viruses :( so please help !! S.O.S !!

a (quick) reply would be much appreciated guys !!! :p:)

thanx, cheers n peace....

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Get hold of a free AV like AVG and couple that with ZoneAlarm Firewall (Free version). That should keep you fairly safe ;)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Nemesis wrote:
Get hold of a free AV like AVG and couple that with ZoneAlarm Firewall (Free version). That should keep you fairly safe
Yup i hv downloaded the AVG antivirus s/w from the AVG site but hey Nemesis,do tell me wat to do with this Antivirus as it will expire after 30 days?? :(:( and will this AVG giv protection equal to the likes of Norton AV 2003?? or is it less powerful and effective !! :? this also implies to the Zonealarm Firewall, as compared to Norton's Firewall 2003.

But the ZoneAlarm Firewall s/w is free so i dont hv to worry abt that :p

Is there any other free antivirus s/w that i can use it free fora long time and also get the ltest updates and virus definitions !!!

aVAST ! Antivirus is one of them but i dont hv much idea abt its work operations against viruses and other malicious threats.....any other recommendations guys !!!!

cheers n peace...

ammusk

Journeyman
same prob

what do u mean not updating ??
1) is it slow
or 2) no updates found

1) if it is slow then let it go through the entire process even if it takes a long time. i had the same prob but after updating slowly it started working just fine

2) no updates have been released.better check on symantec.com

ammusk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom