cant shutdown pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweety_bird_bunny

Journeyman
i hav win xp pro sp2 on my pc...
i dnt knw wat prblem has started that i cnt shutdown/hibernate/restart my pc.....
whenver i click on such an option a little processing is done and then nothing happens.....
i c the saving ur settings screen and the pc hangs at that...
so i hav to manually switch off the power supply.....
however noi scan disk is started at the booting....
plz help me correct dis....
tried top solve it by quitting all the suspeted processes thru taskmanager but to no avail..

plz help.....

Official Techie

In the zone
first u shud search the forum before posting try to wait a bit longer sometimes it takes time to shutdown or u could try reinstalling windows and one thing when u click on the shut down button does it restarts itself automatically

OP
tweety_bird_bunny

tweety_bird_bunny

Journeyman
i searched but cud not find a suitable answer......
no the pc just hangs on clicking any of the following shutdown/restart/hibernate/standby.....

and for the waiting thing i waited 1ce 4 i think half an hour but nothin happens thus confirming my pc's inability to shutdown itself.....

God knows if we humans are not out there these stupid machines cant even shutdown themselves.......

anandk

Distinguished Member
possibly one of ur services is not shutting down properly.
anyway here a way to reduce your shutdown time.

run Regedit.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control.
Click on the "Control" Folder.
Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"
Right click on it and select Modify.
the default value is ( i think) 6000.
Set it a lower value, say 1000.

slagad

Broken In
Remove your RAM cards and fit them back. Make sure that if you have installed any new software or hardware, thne remove them and try again. Clean your system with a good anti-virus and a spyware program. Re-install and check, if it still does not work them get your hardware checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom