Can't Shut Down Windows XP - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

harishkp

Right off the assembly line
I am using Windows XP SP2 on my P4 1.5 GHz PC with 256 MB RAM and 40 GB HDD and BSNL Broadband connectivity.
When I click shutdown option in start menu shut Down Windows dialogue box appears and when I select Shutdown or Restart and click OK, The window disappears and nothing happens, Windows continues working. I tried all the options I Know, but to shut down PC I am forced to press the Power button.

I have a Background Story.

I am using Norton AV 2003 Prof. and MS Antispyware software.
One week back the NAV software shows an error message that It can't load some modules, because some other programs may trying to disable it, so NAV should be uninstalled and reinstalled.
Before doing this I checked the registry and found windows/system32/antiav_exe.exe at startup. I removed the entry and deleted the file. I restarted the PC and checked again the registry found everything OK. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the NAV and updated the NAV from Internet using Live update feature and restarted the PC. From that moment I am facing this problem. When I Uninstall the NAV the PC works fine. Again I reinstalled NAV and the problem started. I tried the NAV uninstallation and reinstallation procedure mentioned in Symantec support website, but the problem still exists.

Is anyone experienced this problem before or is there any solution?

swatkat

Technomancer
Hi,
Go to Start > Run and type regedit and press Enter key. Now, in the Reigistry Editor, navigate to this key:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Here, on the right-side pane, there will be a value called AutoEndTasks. Right-click on it and click "Modify". Here, in the "Value data" field type 1 and click "OK".

If there's no entry named AutoEndTasks in the right-side pane of Registry Editor, then right-click on empty part of the right-side screen and select "New" > "String Value". Here, type the name as AutoEndTasks and set its value to 1.

Restart the PC once to save the changes and check whether the problem persists or not.

D

Deleted member 5901

hey BTW my suggestion would be to use AVAST 4.6 !!! Its better very light on system resources !!!

Cheers !!

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Yaa, same happens with me all the time !!!

I ave never been able to install NAV 2003, 2004, 2005 on my new PC !!!

The same happens with me just as I restart after I installation of NAV but when I uninstall it everything returns to normal !!!

Well try "Tweek Now Power Pack" to change some startup settings from there it might work !!!

D

Deleted member 5901

Avast is the best coz its always updated !!! AVG is gud too but due 2 not being updated so frequently is misses the odd virus and worm here and there !!!

Cheers !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom