Can't see all sites on a server from one machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have Win98SE, I connect thru VSNL dial-up and also use ZoneAlarm and Norton Anti Virus.

There is a typical problem. There are a few sites on one server. Now I can't open any of the sites on that server only.

- I can open other sites.
- I can open the site on that server from other machine.
- I could open those sites thru *www.3proxy.com.
- Outlook Express also is unable to retrieve mails from that server.
- What confuses me the most is that it occassionally works. i.e. one out of 10 times and there is no problem at the server.

What could be wrong? I have tried following things
- Different browsers. I everytime get an error message that reads www.abcd.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again :(

- I disabled ZoneAlarm, but there was no change. :(

- I have tried ping abcd.com thru command prompt, but that also failed. I get the error Unknown host, abcd.com. I can ping yahoo.com or other sites. :(

- I have contacted the admin of that server and ensured that the firewall there is not prohibiting me in any way.

Please help :cry:

Deep

Version 2.0
Hi,
Check this thread, Go4i was having similar problem few days back..

check it out here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29446

and tell me whether you are able to fix the problem after checking the things I had mentioned there.

Regards
Deep

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
I once had such a problem ..
and problem turned out to be in configuration of DNS servers in my ipconfig.
I had manual config on my comp and had few DNS ips missing .. which was causing the exact problem as yours.
check out your config

-----
alibi

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
Deep, at that thread, go4i is talking about
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc

Now I neither have etc file nor a folder under DRIVERS folder. What next? :( I have disabled the firewall and tried. It hasn't worked. How do I check the hosts file?

alib_i (or Ali Bhai as batty said in one thread :D) how do I check out ipconfig and DNS settings? Please don't forget this is Win98SE.

PS: Deep, do you want me to email you a bunch of avtars? 90% of avtars will be better than this one :lol: Or check this site.

Deep

Version 2.0
I changed my avatar for the last time (may be) haha anyways back to the point..

Actually those files are hiddnen..
Paste the path in your explorer bar it will show :D

To check DNS settings in win 98, i think you have to check properties of network neighbourhood and then change the stuff

Deep

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
Location of hosts file is different in Win98. The location you have there is for WinXP. Its located in "C:\Windows\" in Win98.

To check DNS, right click Network Neighbourhood -> Properties -> TCP/IP Properties -> DNS tab.
this page will be useful for you: *www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/dns-change/win98.html
(the values of DNS,etc are specific for that univ, use your own values)
Check the values you need from the comp which is correctly opening the pages by typing "ipconfig /all" in cmd prompt.

-----
alibi

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
Deep, I am not sooo naive :) My Explorer is set to show all files, including hidden. File is not foind even

DNS is disabled in TCP/IP in Network Neighbourhood. What should I do? Here're the contents of host.sam file in C:\Windows

# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

:cry: Sigh!! I have rusted. I used to solve these kind of problems in minutes. But now, I have forgotten so many things :( :( Thank you both for helping.

Deep

Version 2.0
I think norton antivirus 2005 block some sites...

It has some option which blocks sites..

what version is ur?

digen

Youngling
Tuxfan,on top of my head I believe its either of the two things,DNS name resolution problem or two a blocking connection.

If it was the second then 100% of the times you wouldnt have been able to access which is not the case,majority of the times you cant while once in a blue moon you can.

To be frank I dont remeber configuring DNS addresses for a dial-up account.But try configuring it to give it a shot,try these addresses 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2 in the DNS server addresses.

When you say you get unknown host when you ping the site,what do you get when you ping its IP?

P.S: PM me the url of the website if you dont mind.I'll have a look at my end.

Deep

Version 2.0
Actully I dont think custom DNS will work with Dialup, because everything is done using DHCP...

Deep

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
I haven't tried pinging the IP. I will do that and come back. Its my office machine. Today is Sunday :)

How do I configure the DNS? By editing the host.sam file? I think I also need to enable DNS in TCP/IP properties.

digen

Youngling
Naa the hosts file is checked before domain name to IP conversion is requested from the specified DNS servers or through DHCP specified DNS from the ISP.

The DNS servers have to be added under TCP/IP or somewhere under properties.Oh jeez its windows 98 man I dont remember where it is situated.Can anyone with win98 can confirm & post where DNS server addresses are found.

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
I can't. Sorry. I just realised its too big for email. Why don't you download it from the link that I have posted? Thats the source from where I downloaded them earlier.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
tuxfan said:
Thats the source from where I downloaded them earlier.

Means all da avatars u were offering were from dat site only. If yes then i don't want 'em.

But if can suggest any site except deviantart nd avatarity which hav avatars like one DEEP hav surrently . plz link me only if u don't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom