Can't play mp3s in ubuntu linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarincv

Journeyman
I am new to ubuntu linux. when I recieved the installation cd, I installed successfully, but i can't play any of my mp3 files or video files. Help me

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Which version of Ubuntu you are using? If you are using version 5 , you need to upgrade your distro. If you are using version 6. You need to download & install XMMS.
Since MP3 format is patented they can't give it free in Ubuntu.
For installing XMMS & MPlayer (to play VCD, DVD, almost all video formats)
checkout the following link:
*www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=48791

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can install XMMS this way in Ubuntu. Open the terminal Window.

sudo apt-get install libmikmod2

sudo apt-get install xmms

You'll see after a few minutes XMMS will be installed to ready to play MP3!!

Techmastro

Journeyman
Hi buddy,
me too recently switched to Ubuntu version 6
I installed xmms player through which i am able to play mp3 files. also i installed vlc player for .avi files.
Open synaptic package manager from system>administration and select packages

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Install automatix
Here's how-to *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138405
And please do make a search in future. This thing has been posted here before.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
vignesh said:
or Try beep media player.. Its an xmms clone and really slick and fast.
AFIAK that project is dead and now they are working on BMP player or something :?:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Hey, Tech_your_future, don't advice for installing Automatix. You need high-speed
broadband for using it - ie., 512 kbps or higher 2 MB/ sec will be most suitable.
Automatix installs lots of applications that will take hours and hours even on 128
kbps broadband!! No broadband service provider is giving 2 MB/ sec in India!!
In US broadband is very cheap and also very very fast (more than 768 kbps - 2 MB).
So in India you will be installing software for days!!

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
tech_your_future said:
AFIAK that project is dead and now they are working on BMP player or something :?:

Yup BMP .. its like winamp 5 with a media library and all.. Thats only for ubuntu 5.10+ If he is using a older one then its beep

@sarincv Install beep media player.. Its a single deb package and no dependencies at all... Find it in the ubuntu repository

packages.ubuntu.com

rohandhruva

Broken In
NEVER EVER SUGGEST AUTOMATIX. It is untested software, poorly written, and is known to severly break many many ubuntu installs. Instead go for easyUbuntu - *easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/ - if at all you need one touch software like this.

The best ever guide for multimedia on ubuntu is this wiki page - *wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats - please everyone suggest this link instead of suggesting individual packages, so that the new users can also find proper packages for video playback and all...

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
At the ubuntuforums it was all praise for Automatix.. Anyway I like to get dirty with packages then doing it the easy way..

rohandhruva

Broken In
Have you read *wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats that page carefully ? You dont need XMMS (its XMMS and not XMMX ;) )

However, you will surely need an internet connection atleast once, to get those packages. Ofcourse the multimedia stuff is not included on the CD, for the reasons listed on the page above.

vinayasurya

Journeyman
I actually copied the libraries needed for enabling multimedia into rapidshare.de . I am not sure sharing that is legal because it is a restricted formats. If it is legal to share inform me. I will give the link. This is for those not having internet connection in ubuntu linux 6.06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom