Can't enter BIOS settings...Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

linardni

Journeyman
The system battery of my second hand PC (P3, 533 MHz, 6.5 GB HDD, Win 98) is dead. Whenever I boot my computer I have to press F1 key. I replaced the system batery with a new one and tried to enter into the BIOS setting pressing <DEL> while booting. However I couldn't enter the BIOS setting as it is protected with an unknown password. Plz help me in entering the BIOS setting.

ishaan

Padawan
wich BIOS is it? wich version n all also?

cuz once u get that info, jus type it out in google alongwith recover password or reset or something n u should find some software for recoverin ur bios password

but normally u shudn mess around wid ur bios so if u dont really need 2 open it then forget it dont do this..

mediator

Technomancer
I think there is reset button around cmos battery...u have to press it to get the BIOS defaults

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
You have two options:

1. Mechanically resetting by CMOS & jumpers:
Some, but not all, motherboard manufacturers provide a set of three jumpers on their motherboards.

*www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/images/piiisea_jump.jpg

The arrow to the left denotes the location of the "Clear CMOS" jumpers, while the red arrow to the right denotes the location of the CMOS battery.

A)Shut down your computer and disconnect the power plug.

B)Check the default pin settings & write them down somewhere.(Eg: a jumper across pin 1,2 can be default,etc.)

C)Place the jumper across pins #2 and #3, keep it for about 30 seconds and then reset the jumper upon the default location.

2. If no jumpers are present:

A) Shut down the computer and disconnect the power plug.

B) Remove the 1/2 inch circular battery from its slot, keep it for 40 seconds or so, then place it back to its slot & reboot.

This will reset your BIOS.

Even after this, the bios asks for a password, then it must be the default password.

Here's a list of default passwords:

AWARD Bios:
"Condo", "AWARD_SW", "J332", and "589589", "AWARD?SW", "lkwpeter", "aLLY", "j262", "j332". (without quotes)

Phoenix BIOSes
"phoenix"

Other BIOSes
"biostar", "biosstar", LKWPETER", "BIOSTAR", "j262", j256", "Syxx", "Wodj"

For a complete list of all default bios passwords, click here.

Techie_Geek

Journeyman
yrana2002 said:
You have two options:

1. Mechanically resetting by CMOS & jumpers:
Some, but not all, motherboard manufacturers provide a set of three jumpers on their motherboards.

*www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/images/piiisea_jump.jpg

The arrow to the left denotes the location of the "Clear CMOS" jumpers, while the red arrow to the right denotes the location of the CMOS battery.

A)Shut down your computer and disconnect the power plug.

B)Check the default pin settings & write them down somewhere.(Eg: a jumper across pin 1,2 can be default,etc.)

C)Place the jumper across pins #2 and #3, keep it for about 30 seconds and then reset the jumper upon the default location.

2. If no jumpers are present:

A) Shut down the computer and disconnect the power plug.

B) Remove the 1/2 inch circular battery from its slot, keep it for 40 seconds or so, then place it back to its slot & reboot.

This will reset your BIOS.

Even after this, the bios asks for a password, then it must be the default password.

Here's a list of default passwords:

AWARD Bios:
"Condo", "AWARD_SW", "J332", and "589589", "AWARD?SW", "lkwpeter", "aLLY", "j262", "j332". (without quotes)

Phoenix BIOSes
"phoenix"

Other BIOSes
"biostar", "biosstar", LKWPETER", "BIOSTAR", "j262", j256", "Syxx", "Wodj"

For a complete list of all default bios passwords, click here.

great post, dude!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Or u can reset the password and settings to Factory settings by using following procedure:

First open notepad and type following lines:

Code:
@echo off
echo This program will reset BIOS password
choice "Do you want to reset the password:"
if errorlevel 2 goto end
echo o 70 2e >d.scf
echo o 71 ff >>d.scf
echo q >>d.scf
debug <d.scf
echo Your password has been reset
:end

Save the file with ne name and with the extension .BAT.
Run the file and ur BIOS password will be reset!

PS: Can't remember the source, Read on net many months b4 and write down it in my diary :wink:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Please dont try this.... Its dealing with registers... Even if it works, it must be just for one particular manufacturer... So its better not to try. The safest one would be to take out the CMOS battery and re-insert it after 5 mins. Or else find the CMOS reset jumper..

ishaan

Padawan
but i cant do that in a laptop naa....but i dont need 2 access d bios its jus dat i 4got d password...if its harmful id rader not/..

kalpik

Im NOT saying that its harmfull.. Just that someone should test it first... No hard feeling Vishal!

Mualzavata

Right off the assembly line
Its very strange,.... he replaced the battery and the password still there! Never heard of such thing, maybe he replaced it very quickly!! haha

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
what'll happen if bios update goes wrong.
like bios gets corrupt.
what ??
will computer last ? haha?

really i dont know . Tell me , any solutuion

kalpik

If bios update is not sucessful, you will loose your motherboard. If the bios ROM is socketed, you will have to replace the ROM, otherwise, buy a new board! Hehe..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom