Cant delete 3 image files even in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Cant delete 3 image files even in safe mode(solved)

I have a strange problem in My Pictures folder there are 3 jpg/tiff files with long & invalid names & I cant rename them nor move /delete them & I need to get rid of them as I installed some program which on 1st start needs to browse My Pictures folder & its giving errors due to these invalid files.

What are my options, safe mode didnt allow me to delete them, actually I dont get rename/delete options in right click nor the keyboard command works.
*img210.imageshack.us/img210/5849/00005518mp6.th.jpg

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
using command prompt is too much a problem due to its long names, I have not tried that, I dont remember those DOS commands nowadays

sashijoseph

In the zone
You don't need to type in the whole file\folder name in the command prompt;just a couple of letters and then hit the tab key to auto-complete.
Once you're in the correct directory use the 'del' command followed by the filename(make use of autocomplete).

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
This is what I get when I try cmd, tab doesnt work to get the complete name.
*img224.imageshack.us/img224/7210/00005527ax6.th.jpg

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
for folders you need to prefix it wid "cd". also, for long filenames you need to enclose them widin quotes.

use the command line powertop for winxp. then right click on the folder that contains the file and selec 'command prompt here'. then simply type 'del <first few chars of filename> and press the tab. that'll do the rest. hit enter to delete it.

download command line powertoy: *download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/CmdHerePowertoySetup.exe

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
infra_red_dude said:
use the command line powertop for winxp. then right click on the folder that contains the file and selec 'command prompt here'. then simply type 'del <first few chars of filename> and press the tab. that'll do the rest. hit enter to delete it.

download command line powertoy: *download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/CmdHerePowertoySetup.exe
I installed & tried that but on pressing enter it says the file name or the extension is too long does not work.

karnivore said:
Use KillBox

Here's the help page.
Kill box can see the file but does not select it to show in the address bar, so I cant delete it.

kalpik said:
Try Unlocker.
I tried doesn't work either.
I send the file to unlocker by right clicking nothing heppens.

Its really stupid of the developer of a beta software which has left these derivatives files done by its software which I was beta testing.

The main problem is with long file names actually & I cant rename them by F2 or right click or any other softwrae to rename them. seems I am STUCK with them.

I tried another few utilities searching google but none works & the problem is that no application can read these file names, so my question is how to make these file names valid? without which nothing will work.

as of now I cant rename them nor move them neither delete them by available methods.

Last edited:

slugger

Banned
u cud try using using Eraser

MoveOnBoot

u cud also use HijackThis 1.99.1 in Misc tools section u can selecte d Delete a file on reboot option to delete d file

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
all tried none working as these are invalid names, these softwares can only work with valid file names.

so how to make these file names valid?

slugger

Banned
d file name has probably exceede its limilt of 256 characters in win

Utility for Deleting Invalid Files

ranjan2001 said:
Slugger thanks that did the job it was easy using this utility.

u welcome :)

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ok best method: goto the parent folder and use the command: "deltree <foldername>" from command prompt. that'll delete the folder and hence the file.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Slugger thanks that did the job it was easy using this utility.
Thanks to all who made effort to help in this problem, this forum is a great to share.

infra_red_dude said:
ok best method: goto the parent folder and use the command: "deltree <foldername>" from command prompt. that'll delete the folder and hence the file.
I could not delete that folder as My Pictures is a system folder

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
ax3 said:
use command prompt >> goto that folder >> My pictures >> del *.* >>
try this 2 ..........
Now the files are alreday deleted so I cant try but doing del with wild card will delete all images............right??, not sure if that would have worked with invalid file names or not, but the sluggers suggestion did the job well.

slugger

Banned
ranjan2001 said:
Now the files are alreday deleted so I cant try but doing del with wild card will delete all images............right??, not sure if that would have worked with invalid file names or not, but the slu
if u wan 2 test d theory, just name any file with more than 256 characters, u ll have a freshly CREATED invalid file waitin 2 b tested :D

@those_who_found_d_tool_useful

u r welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom