Can't connect to non-default port FTP sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameAddict

In the zone
Hi,

Since last 2 days I can't connect to IRC and FTP. In fact, I can't connect to any site which does not use default ports.

For IRC: No connection on any range of IPs for any server (Using mIRC 6.x) .I am trying to connect to Undernet/EFnet.

For FTP: No connection to sites which use non-default port (eg: 9967). But *can* connect to port 21 sites. (Using FlashFXP 3.0 in PASV mode).With non-default ports,the DNS lookup happens, but then the progress stops and I get time-out errors.

For WWW:Any site with port other then 80.Does not matter much, but I am stumped.

I am behind a firewall and we use Squid at port 3128.

Can anybody throw some light on the issue? Or if I am missing some necessary info., please let me know. In short, tell me how to connect to sites with non-default port numbers?

Bye!

GA

OP
GameAddict

GameAddict

In the zone
Here it is...

Hi,

There is no error log as such...no error at all for FTP sites... here is it, anyway (if that helps):

[16:18:02] WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
[16:18:06] [R] Connecting to xyz.abc.com -> DNS=xyz.abc.com IP=111.111.111.111 PORT=4675
[16:18:27] [R] Connection failed (Connection timed out)

IP/DNS resolving is fake, but port is true (non-21).After some time the connection times out.No such problem with Port 21 FTP sites.

Bye!

GA

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
If you're behind a firewall and using Squid proxy, doesnt that mean you have to allow access to non-standard ports apart from the regular 21 for FTP access? Usually, aren't all non-standard ports blocked automatically that you have to specifically unblock? :?

OP
GameAddict

GameAddict

In the zone
Hi,

I realised that the non-default ports are not allowed.What I want to know is whether I can do something from *my* side (Some FlashFXP/IRC setting,Tunneling), to overcome this problem?

Since I don't have access to the Squid proxy, I will have to request Sys Admin guys to open the ports and then thier will lot of questions starting with: Why you want to use IRC? ;)

Bye!

GA

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
GA see the post on P2P and firewalls. I have given a detailed explaination on setting up tunneling to work with flashfxp. That will help you run what you want.

OP
GameAddict

GameAddict

In the zone
HTTP-Tunnel works!

Hi,

I canconnect to any FTP/IRC site with HTTP-Tunnel.The mentioned tutorial proved useful! Thanks! :)

But the speeds are very slow and connection keeps on getting lost.I know since, HTTP-Tunnel is paid service, it is going to be there.

Any more Tunneling software with Socks 5 support, with good speeds?

Bye!

GA

OP
GameAddict

GameAddict

In the zone
For better speeds..

Hi,

Please see my last post for context.

To improve the speed I got SocksCap32 to translate all TCP/IP requests to SOCKS from any application.For that I needed to have a SOCKS server.Next I got Antinat from antinat.sourceforge.net and started a SOCKS server on my local PC.

After that, configured SocksCap to use 127.0.0.1:1080 as the socks server.But after I can't connect to any sites.

Can you guys please tell me where I am wrong or what modifications are needed?

Bye!

GA

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
forget all that. Try your-freedom.net. Its the best and gives me really good speeds. And right now its free. I use it daily

OP
GameAddict

GameAddict

In the zone
Your-Freedom Works!

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion! Your-Freedom Works! But the speed is still very slow...for IRC it is hardly more then 2 KP/s .:(

But the downlink section of YF shows speed at much greater then what I am receiving. What's happening?

Bye!

GA

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
the speed also depends on your bandwidth capabilities mate. So depending on your corp firewall capabilities and speeds your-freedom speeds vary.

OP
GameAddict

GameAddict

In the zone
Installing a SOCKS Server on the Local machine

Hi,

The apps are working now, but the speed is very slow.For this I have two questions:

1> Which Your-freedom server is good for India? US,German,Netherland etc ?

2> What if I run a SOCKS server on a local machine and redirect the SOCKS connection to that machine...like having the SOCKS Client and Server in the same LAN? Is something like this possible? Since anonymity is not my concern...just want good speeds :?:

Bye!

GA

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
1) It doesnt really matter which servers you connect to the speed depends on not their server alone but on your bandwidth as well.

2) Running a server will not make any difference since the machine which you will run the server on will be on LAN and hence will have all the restrictions applied. Hence you wont even be able to tunnel out let alone gety good speeds.

OP
GameAddict

GameAddict

In the zone
You are right

Hi,

Yes, you are right about the restriction part on some other machine in the LAN.

Leaving that matter, how to start a SOCKS server on my PC, just for the sake of learning?

Bye!

GA

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Well, correct me if I am wrong, but sometime geographical location DOES matter apart from the bandwidth limits of their connection as well yours. So, if you were to say use a server in the US, thats at around 40% load, and compare that with a server in, say, Japan, with nearly the same load, needless to say, you would get a slightly better performance out of the Japan servers. Plus, the time zone that the server is in can also prove to be critical at times, since if a large number of users request services at the server, then your response time would once again be slightly reduced, and if your connection is bad, you're looking at timeout errors again. Always, if you know the server name, a good old ping can decide which server would be better to connect to.

Most SOCKS servers come in built with proxy servers, but to set up your own SOCKS server, you can take a look at some freeware SOCKS servers such as Java SOCKS, a good SourceForge project:
*jsocks.sourceforge.net/

or SOCKS v4/v5 from:
ftp://ftp.nec.com/pub/socks/

or SOCKServe from:
*www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/2517/sockserv2.zip

Of course, these wont have the full fledged functionality of the original SOCKS/Permeo commercial products like address caching, etc. but hey, at least they're free. Having said that, I agree with icecoolz. There would be no point in installing a SOCKS server on your machine to speed it up.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Actually in this particular case geographical location does not make a difference. The application your-freedom automatically locates the best server available in terms of avaiability performance and various other factors comes into the picture. I have tried manual and automatic settings and in this applications case automatic works the best. Plus the connection paramters are also set by the server that the application connects to. Such as your DL/UL cap is at 512 for both. So if your bandwidth is capable of it then that will be your maximum speed.

I have tested this extensively. Automatic settings takes all of the above into consideration (also server up time is another factor) and connects you to the best available server.

I helped a friend download 4.3 GB overnite using Bittorrent and your-freedom on a 45 MBPS pipeline. So one cant complain about the speeds.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
I guess the traditional rules dont apply to your-freedom. :D Anyway, thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind about this app. If it selects the best server automatically, then I for one, dont mind being saved the trouble. And man, 4.3GB overnight? :shock: Good God! I didnt know anyone except corporate network admins had access to those kinds of connections. Any idea how this would work on a DataOne connection? :D So if the server supports it, would it mean a good 100k+ transfer rate? (Now I am being plain greedy :D)

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
HAHAHAHAHA! You think you were surprised ? I was :shock: Well its a dual 45 mbps pipeline. And no the guys no admin. He's a end user like you and me. I know that the network can hit speeds of 2mbps per sec thru http downloads. However noway did I expect this to happen.
And yes ur being greedy :p lol. Well like I said If your bandwidth has the throttle then yes it is possible. The thing with dataone is that its a DSL modem. So if I have a 256 kbps connection my download speeds will be around 32K. And this speed cannot be increased since its capped by your ISP not ur modem. If it is cable modem well thats a completely different story ;) And I wont get into that :p

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
A dual 45 Mbps pipeline. A T3 line. (sighs despondently) I wonder if I can even afford a fractional T1 sometime in my life. Yeah, I know about the transfer rates for these ADSL lines. And I am scared because I will also be using the connection for uploads and I wonder how that's gonna turn out. Also, I am worried about the connection having port restrictions. I dont think I can get the BSNL morons to lock the ports for my games and then end up spending eternity and beyond asking them to open it up. :D Sometimes I wish I had access to a DOCSIS cable connection. Would you believe they supply the connection to the houses on the main road but not in the apartment I live in, fifteen feet from the main road?

OP
GameAddict

GameAddict

In the zone
mIRC Firewall Options?

Hi,

As you might know, Your-freedom has gone commercial since April/04. Though beta version is free, the speed is limited to 64 kbps and max. 20 streams.64 kbps is enough, but as you know that is 'theoritical limit', so I get very slow speeds.This the prob with YF, as I know in other cases 50kpbs+ speeds are common, when connecting directly.

Apart from the above 'sad' news, I want to know whether I can connect directly to mIRC servers by specifying my Gateway IP (172.16.xx.yy) ? Or some other trick like port forwarding will do?

The problem is same, no access to non-default ports! :(

Bye!

GA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom