Cant boot..../system/hal.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

adi87

Journeyman
I am using Windows XP service Pack 2 edition.
I cannot boot into the system. The error is
Cannot load windows. The file < windowsroot> \system\hal.dll is either corrupt or missing. Try reinstalling the file.

How do i repair this error. I am also using SuSE 10 on the same.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Use the tip mentioned at *www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm or
*www.unix.com/archive/index.php/t-5347.html

This may sort your problem!

suave_guy

pedal to metal
boot your computer by using the xp disk and go to recovery console...

at the command prompt type "chkdsk /p" followed by "chkdsk /r" after that restart your computer by typing "exit" and see if you still have the problem

if this does not resolves the issue than we might have to recreate boot.ini as corrupted boot.ini file can also result in this error

so you will have to again go to recovery console and at the commnad prompt type "bootcfg /rebuild"
again type "exit" and restart the sys and see if this resolves the issue

if we still have the problem than we actually have to restore hal.dll file but first try the above steps

ENjoy...

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Since there is Suse, bootcfg/rebuild maynot work correct. You may have to manually edit the boot.ini on windows xp partition, and give the correct partition no. on it. If it still didn't work,
"expand h:\i386\hal.dl_ d:\windows\system32\hal.dll" command on Recovery console may work - replace "h" with the cd drive letter and "d" with the windows partition. I have had this problem once and recovered from it with the above command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom