Cannot partition hard disk. Help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnpandya

Broken In
I have a 20 GB Quantum Fireball hard disk. I can not partition it at all. I have tried it using all the resources available with me like, Fdisk, Partition Magic, Partition Manager, Disk Druid (linux), Computer Management in WinXP. Every time I get some message that says "CANNOT PARTITION THE DISK". The HDD is detected without any problem in the BIOS. It is even detected by windows, I can even see two existing partitions in the explorer but I cannot use or change them. Is there any way out or should I forget it:?:

tuxfan

Technomancer
Have you tried a low level format of your hard disk? A low level format will remove all the existing partitions. Then you can start afresh.

You require some software that will let you do a low level partition. if you don't have any such software, I can send it to you by email. Its a very small software. You need to keep it on a DOS bootable floppy/CD and use it. It is called ZTEST (132 KB)

akshayc

Broken In
avoid a low level format, it may destroy your disk, get professional help instead if you wish to recover data, or use rstudio fat/ntfs and get your data out and then try out all this shi.-.t

tuxfan

Technomancer
avoid a low level format, it may destroy your disk

I have done a low level format at least 5-6 times on my Samsung 40GB Hard Disk. It hasn't been deteriorated in any way!! Actually a low level format only removes all the partitions and FAT/NTFS/EXT2/EXT3 along with it. It doesn't touch the entire hard disk. The data is still there on the hard disk but it only become inaccessible. It can still be recovered with recovery software.

I have already send the file by email. However, since some apprehension is shown here, I would add here that you use the software at your own risk. However, I have personally used it and nothing has happened to my hard disk and it is working great. :)

Sinnet

Broken In
lol
low level formats dont destroy a HDD :)
dun worry :)
go for a low level format m8 :)
but dont make it a habit :)
it does affect a HDD's life on long term :)
enjoy :)

You can also try sea-gates utility BOOT disk. It works with all & can be used to perform a low level format on your disk. It can even write zero to the entire disk if u wanna make it look like new!! :wink: .

Its a usefull soft even I use it when all other fails..

I will try and inc the link soon

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
Hmm.. i have never tried a low level format. R u sure u want to do i mean.
Back up ur data. I don't think it should damage the HDD 'cause then why is this option given . ;)
..:: peace ::..
jeba

tuxfan

Technomancer
I don't think it should damage the HDD 'cause then why is this option given

Presence of Low Level Formatting softwares doesn't mean they don't damage. However, I haven't so far heard from any one that a low level format damaged his HD. It hasn't damaged even my HD. So I safely assume that it is not bad. However as someone said it here, don't make it a habit and it could be damaging if done too many times.

OP
J

jnpandya

Broken In
I've tried all the ways except the seagate boot disk option. I don't have that disk. But still the problem is unsolved.

OP
J

jnpandya

Broken In
If I create a bootable CD using say Nero. How will I get access to a command for low-level format? I think I can only format the disk.

FDISK does not help at all. Every thing goes ok. The moment I restart the pc, things are as they were before using FDISK. I tried to use SEATOOLS (downloaded the image file for bootable CD) but it detects lots of errors in the partition table and then stops. It only diagnoses the problem and does not solve it.

I am not at all bothered about data on the hard disk as I have already taken important data long back. I want my 20 GB space, that's it.

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
Hmmm... w8ting for the DVD ;) there is a free dos :) gotta check it out may be that will help u :).
..:: peace ::..
Jeba

tuxfan

Technomancer
You have to create a bootable CD from an image of a bootable floppy. Keep the file used for low level formatting and FDISK along with some other necessary files on the floppy before you give it to nero for taking a boot image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom