Cannot Log into SUSE MBR Erased please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsunami

Broken In
Dear friends
I have two separate Hard disk drives in my computer each of 5 GB Capacity. I have installed Windows 98 in the Primary (c:/Windows) Drive and have partitioned the D: drive (in 3 GB and 2 GB) while Installing SUSE 9.1 Personal edition from the windows interface and have installed it in the 3 GB Partition. I don’t know about the partition type as the partition is done by the Linux OS itself while Installation.
A few days ago I formatted only the c drive and installed Windows 98. But this has caused the MBR to get wiped out. Now, whenever I switch on the machine it does not show the initial SUSE dual boot-up menu. Now I am in great trouble since I had not created startup disk in SUSE nor can I access the Linux partition from windows (it’s invisible).
Please help me in restoring the MBR so that I can also log in Linux.
I have just great trust in you peoples. I need immediate help as my practical exam is knocking at the door. Please, help.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Try to reinstall SuSE linux and while reinstalling don't select ne package, it'll automatically reinstall the GRUB loader.

I hv not tried it ever, but try it may be it can help u.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I think u need to select atleast two packages for grub to be reinstalled. Atleast, it was so for fc3.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
u r right, siriusb.. 2 packages r needed...
Well try the boot disk for any live cd (simply mepis) and in its ctrl panel for install, it will have refix MBR enabled ...
it will replace the MBR with its screen but u will boot to the same SUSE...
So isnt that cool - 1st imply mepis then suse ?? :shock: :p :p :p :p :p :!: :?: :idea:

tuxfan

Technomancer
You can use the bootable CD, go to rescue mode and install GRUB. Serach the forum, I (and some more members) have already posted this a few times :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom