Cannot install XP on system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
I have a few friends of mine who purchased PC which came preinstalled with OS. One has Dell Desktop PC (Which had windows vista Business preinstalled) and other has Compaq Presario V6409 (Free Dos preinstalled).

The problem is that if I try to install Windows XP (Base version or SP2) it does not detect the Hard Drive on any of the systems and hence the installation does not proceed. Although all the linux flavors can detect the HDD correctly.

So guys please suggest a solution by which I can install Windows Vista on the PCs.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
cynosure said:
The problem is that if I try to install Windows XP (Base version or SP2) it does not detect the Hard Drive on any of the systems and hence the installation does not proceed. Although all the linux flavors can detect the HDD correctly.

Check if the HDDs are in RAID, then u have to install RAID drivers first by pressing F6 in the start of the Windows Xp setup.

anurag_nagpal

Broken In
Hi cynosure

ur HDD might have partitioned with Non DOS. So u have to delete non dos partitions and create dos partitions to install windows products

cynosure said:
I have a few friends of mine who purchased PC which came preinstalled with OS. One has Dell Desktop PC (Which had windows vista Business preinstalled) and other has Compaq Presario V6409 (Free Dos preinstalled).

So guys please suggest a solution by which I can install Windows Vista on the PCs.

anand1

In the zone
Since ysaid u have to install the Windows OS on the Linux system then look if you have the free drive partitioned by the DOS either FAT or NTFS then only you can install the OS. Since linux uses different partion system for it to install.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
@anurag, anand: The disk is partitioned as NTFS only.

@deb: There is only 1HDD in each PC, so RAID cannot be there.
The HDD are SATA but even my HDD is SATA and XP installed without any problem on my PC.

PirateAccess

Broken In
By default, when the Windows setup looks for other HD drivers, it is going to look at the Floppy Disk Drive.

*support.microsoft.com/kb/314859/

As an alternative, you could try to slipstream your drivers by creating your own XP CD.

*www.theeldergeek.com/slipstream_01.htm
*www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=13173

There is also a tool called "nLite" that will automate the process for you.

*www.nliteos.com/
*www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=28005

Alternative Method:
If you take your hard drive out, install XP on it using a different machine, and then put it back in the original (Dell) system, you'll just get a bsod at boot about hardware issues. That trick works with linux, but rarely works with windows.

When you run the installer, do you get all the way to the menu (press enter to install, r for recovery, ect), or does it bsod before that? If you can get to the menu, you can probably load the sata drivers, granted you'll have to steal a floppy drive temporarily. You -might- be able to store the drivers on the cd, with a bit of work.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
@raptorz: If I disable the SATA support in the bios, will it load the HDD? My friend only has SATA HDD.

If you take your hard drive out, install XP on it using a different machine, and then put it back in the original (Dell) system, you'll just get a bsod at boot about hardware issues. That trick works with linux, but rarely works with windows.

Thats not possible in windows until and unless the two PCs are identical.

Thanks anyway. Ill try the other options given by you.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Or Get n-Lite and Integrate the SATA Drivers in the XP Installation CD.

Download the Drivers from Compaq Website, It'll be a .EXE, So Read the readme on how to extract just the Files from the Setup. There will be a few drivers with 'txtsetup.oem' file, Use that to Integrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom