Cannot fully defragment drive C

Status
Not open for further replies.

H.Lalnunmawia

Broken In
Some files cannot be defragmented in my C: what could be the reason?
How can my computer defragment C: fully. I have tried in save mode and also with System Mechanic but with the same result. Please help.I use Windows XP profesional with NTFS file system. Here is the latest defragmentation report:

Volume MAIN (C:)
Volume size = 7.01 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 5.42 GB
Free space = 1.59 GB
Percent free space = 22 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 14 %
File fragmentation = 27 %
Free space fragmentation = 1 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 29,809
Average file size = 280 KB
Total fragmented files = 3
Total excess fragments = 24
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.00 GB
Total fragments = 4

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 1,859
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 44 MB
MFT record count = 31,837
Percent MFT in use = 70 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sakumar79

Technomancer
System files are hard to defrag because they are open at the time of defragging... Try utils such as PageDefrag that do the defragging during bootup...

Arun

KoRn

In the zone
there mite be a rpob wit ur hdd check it out first and den post otherwise try sum other defrag softies lik page defrag

zegulas

Traceur
Hey dude, if you have the Feb 2006 issue of Digit, then refer to Fast Track to Windows XP (Maintenance & Management).

It will help you solve your problem, trust me...! :p

anandk

Distinguished Member
sakumar79 said:
System files are hard to defrag because they are open at the time of defragging... Try utils such as PageDefrag that do the defragging during bootup...
Arun

ya. system mechanic will also do the same.

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^^ Refer to original post where it is mentioned that system mechanic could not help him out... If it can, do mention how it is to be achieved...

Arun

anandk

Distinguished Member
sysmech6>optimize>speed up hard drives>disk defrag wzrd
>custom defrag>options>click automatically defrag locked files
on system restarts.

OP
H

H.Lalnunmawia

Broken In
Thank you all for your help. The problem is I used Sysmech 4 where there are only two options for defragmentation - Quick and Optimum. And I'm still waiting for the Feb. issue of Digit out here in Aizawl. About the HDD problem, well the question is how to check whether there is a problem?

KoRn

In the zone
for now jus wait for the feb issue...and den after defragmenting u post the results ok.all da best.

OP
H

H.Lalnunmawia

Broken In
Today I got the Feb. 2006 issue of Digit and read the Fastrack to Windows XP Maintenance and Management. I checked the C drive with what the book says Scandisk and Chkdsk command from C prompt and it showed that the Volume C: is clean. Then I defrag C: with the Windows disk defragmenter as well as from the Command Prompt but the same error message appeared saying, "Some files on this drive could not be defragmented. Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files". This is the report:
Volume MAIN (C:)
Volume size = 7.01 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 5.36 GB
Free space = 1.65 GB
Percent free space = 23 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 14 %
File fragmentation = 27 %
Free space fragmentation = 1 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 29,807
Average file size = 274 KB
Total fragmented files = 3
Total excess fragments = 21
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.00 GB
Total fragments = 4

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 1,872
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 44 MB
MFT record count = 31,847
Percent MFT in use = 70 %
Total MFT fragments = 3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also checked the registry with Registry Mechanic which reported some 200 broken.... needs to be fixed but since the software was only a trial version reparation could not be done. Although I dont know any problem that this defrag problem has caused on my computer I am uncomfortable with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom