cannot format the partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxisayshi

Broken In
yesterday i was having boot up prob with window xp.some files were corrupted so i had installed the new copy of windows xp in another partiton to save my documents.

but now i cannot format my previous partiton which was c:
i hav tried the command "format c:" in dos but it does not work.it shows 100% format but still files remains in c drive.

does ne body hav ne soln to dis ?????
plz help

suave_guy

pedal to metal
it seems like you have done the parallel install of xp on your computer

after parallel install the best practice is to take the backup of the data and than do the format clean install of xp by using the xp installation disk

ENjoy...

devarajan

Journeyman
roxisayshi said:
yesterday i was having boot up prob with window xp.some files were corrupted so i had installed the new copy of windows xp in another partiton to save my documents.

but now i cannot format my previous partiton which was c:
i hav tried the command "format c:" in dos but it does not work.it shows 100% format but still files remains in c drive.

does ne body hav ne soln to dis ?????
plz help

I think u have done with win98 cd.Try to format using partition magic software.Orelse Try to delete the partition.Some times using 98 cd it dosen't work. :lol: :lol:

OP
R

roxisayshi

Broken In
i hav used win xp cd only for dis.

after booting from the cd i opened recovery console and typed the command " format c:" .
it shows 100% format but still the files remains.

havn't tried partiton magic yet.going to use dis s/w now,will tell u if dis software works or not..

devarajan

Journeyman
roxisayshi said:
i hav used win xp cd only for dis.

after booting from the cd i opened recovery console and typed the command " format c:" .
it shows 100% format but still the files remains.

havn't tried partiton magic yet.going to use dis s/w now,will tell u if dis software works or not..

Dude why do u go for recovery console ???simply let it load and search for previous installation of windows and then it will prompt u to select the drive to install.And that time select C: press D to delete the partion and after that press C to create the partion that's it.........Any problem quote me. :p :p

OP
R

roxisayshi

Broken In
to devrajan:- yes buddy i think dis is the best and easiest soln for dis prob.i dont know why it didn't click in my mind.thax for dis .
but u know in my case their is one prob in doing dis .
my C: drive is set to primary and other partitions are logical one.i hav checked it with partiton magic.so i hav made a mistake by formatting the c: . after formatting when i restarted my sys their was again a error msg saying " could not find system drive"
so end result was that i hav installed a new copy of win xp in partition C and then formatted the partiton D.

now my system just works fine.........:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom