I bet you havent heard about Gaim , Kopete , Ayttm , Freehoo ,
Search on google for their homepages, and download links

ujjwal

Padawan
The official yahoo messenger is also available for linux -

*messenger.yahoo.com/messenger/download/unix.html

praka123

left this forum longback
And that Yahoo messgr is for RedHaat 9 which is quiet old,if u got luck it will install properly.try gaim

ujjwal

Padawan
It worked on a very modern system here, linux 2.6.15.2, glibc 2.3.5. You can easily extract the needed files from the rpm/deb file you download using something like rpmextract.sh if you don't use redhat/debian.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
I've done that for some dependancy problems/version conflicts. Uses my file-roller for extracting these things manually.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
But the yahoo messenger for Unix and for that matter any other messengers given out here wouldn't offer you all the functionalities offered by yahoo messenger on windows, just the basic chat and smilies and a few more features. But, I really hope that they come out wiht more functions fast.

naveenchandran

In the zone
tech_your_future said:
But the yahoo messenger for Unix and for that matter any other messengers given out here wouldn't offer you all the functionalities offered by yahoo messenger on windows, just the basic chat and smilies and a few more features. But, I really hope that they come out wiht more functions fast.

What Special Thing did u find in Yahoo Messenger? [ Apart from Resouce Hogging :lol: ]

eddie

El mooooo
tech_your_future said:
But, I really hope that they come out wiht more functions fast.
Fast?!?! I don't think they'll ever include the features in UNIX messenger, forget about doing it fast. Yahoo Messenger for UNIX in its current state is (imho) so bad that I don't think any other modern piece of software can manage to be. It should be added to Ripley's list.

mediator

Technomancer
Nah Ymessenger works fine for almost every unix and unix like distro! The problem u guys are facing is that of dependencies or segmentation fault i guess!! Dependencies (libraries) can be downloaded...but for segmentation fault alll u have to do is first uninstall ymessenger,2nd remove the ".ymessenger" folder on users directory,3rd install the rpm of ymessenger and check again if ".ymessenger folder is there, if yes then remove the folder again. Now start ymessenger....I hope this solves the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom